Converting Public Schools to Charter Schools is a Bad Idea

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

Charter schools are being oversold as a way of solving public education problems. "Waiting for Superman" is a prime example of the propaganda efforts promoting charter schools.

http://www.thenation.com/article/154986 … g-superman

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Most public schools adamantly refuse to work at all in any shape way or form with Charter schools.

They are now opening their doors to the idea, thanks to a Private Charity that is helping government open its sticky doors

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/ed … tners.html
    http://www.kipp.org/news/the-columbus-d … r-schools-

And on top of this, as a teacher-to-be, I'm seeing first hand the reality of how schools are run. I won't comment further because it might cost me a job in the future, or the jobs of current teachers.

1. talisa2699 profile image61
      talisa2699posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting response.  I am really shocked by how many public school teachers and officials have been called to the carpet for items posted on social networking sites.

3. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

Charter schools are not the problem.  The problem is Federal interference by "dumbing down" our children so that all children are on the same playing field.  The so called "culturally disadvantaged" and illegal immigrants need to feel good and our Government sold us out for what is called Outcome Based Education.

I wonder how many culturally disadvantaged and illegal immigrants are in the Finnish education system which is cited so heavily in Waiting for Superman.  The Finnish system is touted as the best in the world.

When I was in school we were taught reading, writing, math, history. and even geography and we were taught how to apply the aggregate of the knowledge in real world situations. 

Schools don't teach that way anymore, they only touch on the very basics in the name of "equality" "fairness" "inclusiveness" and "self-esteem."  And, as a means of evading responsibility, they invade the privacy of families by encouraging students to report their parents attitudes and behaviors, and by encouraging teachers who are often unqualified and unprepared in amateur psychology which is why so many children have been placed on mind and mood altering drugs. 

The problem with our schools is not in just one area, its systematic and will remain that way as long as the Federal Government keeps interfering.

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yikes

Wow, I didn't expect to see this.

Brilliant.

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep. Totally agree.

And because nobody is willing to say out loud that the real problem is and hold parents accountable for their children failing, it doesn't get better.  It takes effort on the part of parents to get kids to do well in school. You can't just sit on your ass all school year playing X-box, getting stoned or watching TV and then go in at the end and yell at the principal that the school has failed your kid.

The education system and curriculum issues you describe are the crippling results of political correctness. Until someone is willing to stand up and say, "Your kid is failing because YOU are failing your kid," then we are stuck with this stupid, reactive idiocy.

1. profile image62
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!
        Used to be the 3 R's.  Now it's all about PC!

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and there's so much overwhelming evidence that Americans know reading, riting and rithmatic rill good.

Not.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whatever your argument is, please don't blame teachers (I know you didn't, but I just want this to be clear)

I'd say more, but once again, I use my real name on these forums, and it might cost me a job.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Relax Evan, no American school principal in his right mind will hire you based on your other posts here, so this one is not going to make any difference smile

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. talisa2699 profile image61
      talisa2699posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can I ask you, in your opinion, who should interfere?  What ideas do you have for solutions.  One of the reasons why I fear having children is because kids are so different now and I feel that  it is partly due to the fact that the school systems are so different from when I was a child.

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

New charter schools are not taken very seriously by universities and colleges. Without a strong track record, (and because they are generally very new they don't have a history or track record) they are looked at as experiments at best, and a haven for disgruntled, problem students and their parents.

I taught Jr high school for one year over 20 years ago. The worst part about it was the administration and parents. As a result, I fled out of the public school system, and have never wanted to return. When administrators threatened me for leaving, by saying I wouldn't "teach in this state again," I told them to make it effective so I couldn't teach in all 50 states. Ever.

However, for the record, I've continued to be an educator for adults and kids of all ages in private practice and in many other education forums.

To me, American public schools are in about the same condition as the government, being over run by people with serious entitlement issues.

Apparently, entitlement issues are a way of life for most Americans, and so these problems probably won't go away any time soon.

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

My number one solutions is to get the federal government out of the business of education.  We need to tell those jackasses in Washington that for the very reason they have screwed up our nation, our economy, and our world stature, they need to step away and not screw up our children any longer.

There is no right to an education enumerated in the US Constitution.  Individual States may include that right in their constitutions but it is not a Federal Mandate. So, why have we allowed the Federal Government to go where it has no business being? 

I know how they got their foot in the door.  Through the commerce clause. Since the states receive federal tax dollars for education the Govt. has the right to come in and monitor how it is spent.  Also, since schools purchase items from all over the country, Interstate commerce takes affect.

The way it should be is that the states grant local school districts the authority to create a curriculum and local school districts elect school boards to establish the curriculum and school policies. They then hire a superintendent to oversee all school operations.

Most states are different. They each have their pros and cons for living there.  One of the biggest factors for someone with children electing to move to another state was the quality of the school district they were going to move to. 

Now that the feds have implemented No Child Left Behind, the students in rural Mississippi have to be taught at the same level as students being taught in Barrington, Illinois (an extremely wealthy town)  But are they really?  I seriously doubt it. You see the school district with financial means only needs to loosen the curriculum (dumb down) so that they are closer to those districts with tighter funding. Why would they domb down? So their school gets a higher rating, of course which means in the new system of merit pay the teachers in the wealthier district will get paid better for doing less work (than teachers in poorer districts)

Kids are being dumbed down for politics amd political correctness. Don't believe me? See how well your high school child does while watching "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader" then come back and answer.

6. jaydennia04 profile image58
    jaydennia04posted 13 years ago

nice

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)