jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

The President's speech

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

That was one heck of a speech at the Tuscon memorial. Though I am not a fan of Obama, I respect the thoughts he expressed especially in the last part.
    At first I was somewhat appalled at the cheers and rowdy applause, seeming like a political pep rally-- but have to take into account that it was a college campus site.
    I think the whole audience eventually got the whole message.

1. profile image66
      logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The speech may have been good, but make no mistake it was a political pep rally.  Just as it would have been whomever was President.

Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, of course, but it was above average.

2. Mikeydoes profile image77
    Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago

Dang I missed it, makes me wish I saw it. I guess I'll have to check out the tidbits it gives on the news.

3. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 6 years ago

It is no secret that I am no fan of Obama. However tonight I have to give him some props. It was not divisive at all. He sounded very Presidential and actually sounded like he was trying to unite us. The media was trying to make him take the bait and point fingers. But he didn't .Good for him.

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I felt the same way! I thought he did a great job. I was surprised to hear  him say that although we need to be more civil, the political disourse DID NOT cause this senseless act of violence.

I thought Obama's speech was moving and inspirational. I don't see how he didn't break down talking about Christina's death, however. I did.

I think he was on the verge ... he does have a couple of beautiful daughters.

1. habee profile image90

That's what I was thinking. You know he had to be thinking of his girls at the time.

2. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I guess I missed the part where the media was trying to get him to point fingers.  What did the media say in this regard?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

It was very touching.

5. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 6 years ago

I agree, Rochelle.

I actually heard somebody yell, "I love you, Obama" in the beginning.  Ridiculous, college campus or not.

However, Obama certainly chose his words carefully, and many respected and deserving people were acknowledged.  I'm glad I watched his speech.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

I was disappointed that he did not read from the Quran or perform a traditional Kenyan prayer dance.

Yeah I'll bet.
      I have many reasons to disagree with him, I did not vote for him -- but in this particular case, he said the right things.

7. Mighty Mom profile image89
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Very moving. I was tearing up all the way through.The reality of the loss and the heroism really hit home.
    When Obama talked about visiting Gabby Gifford and they showed Michelle Obama with Ms. Gifford's husband and Obama said, "She opened her eyes!" it was a moment of hope and solidarity.
    I also really liked what he said about the kids born on 9/11/01 and the "hope" statements.

1. habee profile image90

Me, too, MM. I hope we can start healing as a nation.

working