The Price of Gas and the scam behind it.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    bolt1951posted 13 years ago

I would first like to point out that what happened in Egypt and Lybia, has absolutely nothing to do with the rising prices of gas, these animals, that have no real life because their entire life is dedicated to greed. Have taken so much advantage of any situation and make a profit out of. And You know what I don't blame them as much as I blame the people we have sat on our butts and allowed this to just keep going on, to the point where even if the price goes to $3.30 we say wow! how cheap. This is rediculous. We tend to forget that what happened when the prices sky rocketed it so happens that Exxon had an all time high profit. Now let's forget Bush has investment in oil and God know what else, and of course Chaney has investment in
    Halliburton or how ever you spell it....it so happens that when we invaded Iraq it was Halliberton who was hired to rebuild the whole country. We All should know that at least the poliically concious ones and til this day nothingm Zero has happened.We the people as it states in our constitution have allowed these so called politicians to do what ever they want and do absolutely nothing. Because we have no real unity or convictions,
    even though we say we do. Just like we have allowed the Vatican to get away with the pedaphiles, because they dish out a few million dollars. How about those kids lives, why don't they get the money and lock the son of a bitch up like any other asshole just like him.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The power brokers control the price of gas based on their own greedy nature. They don't give a damn what people have to pay.

They claim it is based on supply and demand, but that's just to keep the public gullible. wink

1. profile image0
      bolt1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

How true it is, but the part that is most bothersome is the way people just swallow this and do nothing.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

baloney.

IF one company were to "overcharge" you, then another company would step in and undercut their price to make a profit.

And even if you don't believe that perfectly logical argument, then it's still not "price gouging" because YOU WILLINGLY PAY THE PRICE.

sorry, not buying your guys' nonsense

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Evan, just because YOU don't believe it, there isn't any explanation you can give for it to be called "nonsense".

People pay the price because they don't have a choice. If you're unable to see that, then you need to get out more.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62

shut up, you have a choice.

Ride a bike. It'd be great for your health, and you'd use less gas.

what's that, you say? you don't want to?

That's what I thought.

Hey Evan, I don't own a car. Therefore, why don't you shut your trap. See, I tell people to shut up too.
            That's actually not the point and if you had an ounce of intelligence to back up that mouth, then you might actually get somewhere.
            It's not a matter of what I want. Again, if it has to be spelled out for you, then just admit you don't know what you are talking about and I'll glad spoon feed you.
            If you had a thought run through your mind, it would probably scare the hell out of you. Anything else? No, I didn't think so. Yet, I'm sure you'll come back some witless remark.

2. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you never heard the word "CARTEL"?

Hey John,

Evan think that one company charges a certain amount and then other companies are going to undercut the price. However what Evan has failed to realize is that other businesses are not going to undercut, and if they do, it's only by a couple of cents, so there really isn't any savings.

Yet, the power brokers who handle the supposed pricing, continue to rape the consumer over the coals for something that should be so cheap by now, it's absurd.

1. John Holden profile image60

Evan puzzles me, on the one hand seemingly intelligent and articulate but on the other so incredibly naive!

Naive? lol lol

Seemingly intelligent? lol lol Yeah, seems like it.

Most of the time articulate, but only when it is something he truly understands. lol

lol  lol lol

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62

point me to one cartel / monopoly that wasn't created through government.

- and it has to be one that actually price-gouged and ripped people off. None of this "microsoft" nonsense.

Good luck.

That's totally irrelevant to the point I was making that oil is operated by a cartel and therefore your suggestion that there is competition in the supply of oil is somewhat off.

What microsoft nonsense! You reckon they aren't a virtual monopoly, and don't price gouge! Like I said, naive.

3. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

The oil market is very similar to the gold market as it is a single commodity.  As such OPEC has the ability to manage the price.  There are limits though to what people are able to pay as such price fluctuations are moderated...

The Oil Market is more fluid than the Gold Market ever has been. Yes, each is a single commodity, but companies in the US who have to produce it and refine it for consumption, have to deal with the pathetic politicians and the Wall Streeters who are only in for the money and don't give a damn about the consumers.

4. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

Sure but the United States has the cheapest fuel.  Take England I am sure there would be a revolution if Americans had to pay the prices they pay in the UK.  In Australia our prices are dictated by the price of Singapore Crude spot price

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spot on Barry. We are priced in Singapore.
      We pay through the nose at the moment too I reckon. We are being ripped off by 10 cents a litre according to a recent report.
      I paid AU$ 1.55 for juice the other day!

5. DannyMaio profile image59
    DannyMaioposted 13 years ago

yes oil is high! what makes the price is the future buyers who purchase for the airlines etc... they need to set their prices for seats and need to make sure they have the fuel, so It is a little deeper than just politicians. also if the dam taxes weren't so high the gas would be even cheaper. here in NY i believe they get 85 cents a gallon. I truly do not understand how we are in such a hole when they take 55% of income and have taxes on everything! liquor, cigarettes, gas, electric, phone home taxes, insurance, sales tax and about a million other taxes, then they make money on tickets speeding stop sign etc... and also get a 20 sur-charge regardless. then it states that the lottery here i NY brings in millions a week for schools but we are broke???? who is getting all this money? someone is definitely stealing. the taxes on my home here on long island is 11,000.00 a year and i'm not even close to what some others pay in my area. 35,000.00 per year. next they will tax us on the air we breathe.

6. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Oil production reached its peak in 2004.  So the ride from here on out should be interesting.  We now compete with too many other countries for the oil.  We take it from one country and soon another country will take it all from us.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

supply and demand - baloney

OPEC - yes

speculators - yes

oil refineries - to some extent, yes

exploration affected by anticipation of profit from big oil players

Can the people do something about it?

to Evan, sorry to say I think you are an idealist!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)