"W" Ignored N.O. but Obama Trip Continues Uninterupted

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
    uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years ago

The body count in Joplin continues to rise.  Joplin is a small city of around fifty thousand.  The whining of "help me government" blessedly absent from people who are used to doing for themselves.

The wards of government who suffered so profoundly in New Orleans may have fared better if they had been taking care of themselves.  The government which reduces typically fails to provide.

God bless the brave and descent people of Joplin as they rescue themselves.  They will get a royal visit from the President on Sunday.

"W" waited three days and he was a jerk.  Barry has waited a week and he is a brilliant, compassionate leader.  Help me Barry you are my rock and my refuge.

Just to let you see how bad Joplin is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ssing.html

1. DTR0005 profile image61
      DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I might suggest you put of all this anger, borderline pathological at times, you have for one man to some good use... say solving the energy crisis.

The "W" issue during Catrina is a little different in the following ways: The failure of FEMA fell squarely on the shoulders of Bush because, as president, if your people in-charge screw the pooch, you take the fall. Remember "Browny?" I never "blamed" W for the Hurricane Catrina debacle because, being a rational human being, I know there are some things you can't plan for - no matter how good you are. The unprecedented flooding of a major American city is one of them.

And, not to be overlooked, from a private insurance perspective, Catrina and Joplin are worlds apart. Catrina was mainly flood water - excluded from coverage by private insurance. Thus the insurance catastrophe teams, insurance support, etc. were lacking because, again, flood water is not covered under private insurance. The entire or nearly entire support of this disaster fell on FEMA's shoulders and they were unprepared, but again, how do you prepare for something like Catrina that happens once a century? Joplin, being a tornado loss, is fully covered by private insurance so there are literally thousands of insurance adjusters, catastrophe managers on-site to take up the ball and run with it. If 80% of the homes and businesses were insured (as they likely were) then 80% of the losses are being handled under private insurance policies. As horrible as Joplin is, it is a very manageable loss scenario as compared to Catrina - private insurance doesn't plan on dealing with floods because they don't cover the loss.

2. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I don't know your political leanings I think that it is funny how many people on the right complain about the president as to intrusive in their lives.  But when something like this happens they all scream where was the president when all this went down.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
        uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not the point at all.  But you hinted at the inability to get the point merely by assuming I was a "rightest," what ever that means.  The labels of left and right have no meaning to me.  My observation is regarding the double standard among liberals and the sycophants in the press regarding the failings of Democrats. 

The criticism heaped upon GWB is absent when the same action comes from BHO.  The Patriot Act is renewed and signed by BHO.  The same Patriot Act for which GWB was criticized.  Gitmo is still open, American troops are still in Iraq and Afghanistan and renditions continue.  The supposedly unauthorized wars in Iraw and Afghanistan have been followed up with a war in Libya in which the BHO dismisses any call for Congressional authorization.  Where is the criticism?

1. rhamson profile image72
          rhamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry if you took my post as accusing you of anything but I was merely musing as to how it is a peculiar situation.

I agree the slanted press hooks up with a topic and chases it to whatever exploitation they want.

I also find it peculiar that the in the early years of the wars under GW there was such prolific coverage and now we barely get a report other than some casualties.  No imbedded exclusives or special operations.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
          Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"assuming I was a "rightest," what ever that means"

I doubt anybody mistakes you for a "leftist," whatever that means or a "centrist" whatever that means. You could be mistaken for a "Bushist."

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66

The people in Joplin are praising the help they are getting from FEMA.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

There is no Joplin after that storm.

I heard that stupid church (if you call it a church, I do not) that protests military funerals, is suposidly planning a demonstration there..!

God Bless Joplin. Good decent people there I think

3. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 12 years ago

Recovery efforts are proceeding smoothly, There is no panic or waves of criminals running loose in the streets. Just why would you assume the president would simply drop what ever he is doing and run to have his picture taken doing nothing? This question sought simply to give a bunch of hatefilled irrational people a sign that the next public bashing of Obama has begun.

What makes you think that Obama needs to be everywhere, He isn't the decider. He has people he trusts in place to handle these things.  I am sure you are probably right in that he turned off his cell phone when he left American airspace. No need to trouble himself with that bunch of him haters back home. He'll turn it back on soon don't you worry your head about it no more.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Obama is attending a G8 summit...I believe GW was playing golf...

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Touche!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

It should make you happy he is going there today or tomorrow. But of course it won't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)