You can't handle the truth

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)
  1. Moderndayslave profile image58
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

Profits are up while while the average American makes less money than they were making in 1972. Do I want a handout? no. This just proves how little the workforce or the greatest asset of any company actually matters.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/busin … 4econ.html
    http://www.munknee.com/2011/07/wheres-t … n-america/

When did this downhill avalanche really pick up speed?
    http://www.rense.com/general94/daythemiddle.htm

1. Quilligrapher profile image74
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Howdy Modern. I think I can handle the truth whenever I find it. But I have to admit the truth is sometimes hard to find.  For example, I looked at the link you provided to support the fact that American labor no longer has the clout it had 30 years ago.  Michael Moore’s flawed rant on the role of President Reagan and the Republican Party is a typical example of distorting historical events to create an erroneous impression with your readers.
      Mr. Moore’s suggestions that American Industry conspired with “the Right Wing” to intentionally destroy the middle class reveals some faulty thinking. It does not require an advanced degree in economics to grasp how absurd this idea is.  In a nation without a strong working middle class, consisting of only the rich “haves” and the poor “have nots”, the wealthy will have to pay for the infrastructure and overhead of the country. The wealthy are too clever and greedy to intentionally destroy the working middle class. 
      Mr. Moore would like us to believe the government’s actions in 1981 was the opening salvo in his imaginary plot to destroy the working middle class. When you look beyond his bizarre accusations you discover the real facts. 
      PATCO members were not in the private sector. They were government employees who knew the law and had sworn an oath not to strike.(http://www.buyandhold.com/bh/en/educati … patco.html)

Alluding to the use of the National Guard by Calvin Coolidge against a strike by Boston policemen, President Reagan quoted the former governor of Massachusetts when he declared “There is no right to strike against the public safety by anyone, anywhere, any time.”
      I wonder what Mr. Moore was really trying to say. He would have been substantially more accurate had he left out the word “Christians” entirely.
      I think Mr. Moore would like us to believe Corporations demanded wage and benefit concessions from workers that they had already decided they were going to fire!

In fact, President Regan’s action against PATCO had the support of the American public and nearly all of the trade unions. A fact that Mr. Moore chooses to ignore.

Your premise that American labor no longer reigns supreme as it did in the past has merit but your choice of Mr. Moore and Rense.com as dependable observers of America’s past may not have been the best.

Thanks for your post.  I enjoy reading your opinions.

1. Moderndayslave profile image58
        Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Q, I didn't think the M. Moore part would go over well and I will admit I didn't research it fully but it does serve my purpose.As skilled blue collar laborer  and a labor union member I feel the noose tightening and I hope it stops for a while.You are actually a perfect person to comment on this because of the amount of life experience you have under your belt. We have a variety of modern products and services (Cell phones and Internet ) costs that didn't exist in say 1980 that cost the average household money.My argument is that the price of housing ,transportation,medical care,food and fuel have skyrocketed while that average Americans wages have remained stagnant or actually retreated. Organized labor in America has all but disappeared and the working American can feel the effects, I just think that they cant put 2+2 together yet. Look at the Verizon strike going on right now,not only is Verizon receiving corporate welfare from the US taxpayer but they are demanding concessions from it's unionized workforce while they reported pre tax earnings of 24 billion. They claim they cant compete with non union but they got this large and profitable using union labor.  People say this is the "World Economy" at work, but who is it really working for?

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I didn’t check out your links.  Anyone that has been on their own for the last few decades knows that our buying power has diminished considerably.  The antics the government plays in order to downplay the rise in inflation isn’t lost to anyone that watched the price of groceries, the price of gas and pretty much every other commodity we actually need in order to survive or get to work rise considerably. 

I don’t lay the blame at the foot of either party or an individual.  It’s our entire government that has sold us out. At any given moment, there are no more than 545 people who are responsible for the downhill slide in our incomes and our standard of living.  That’s how many people there are in our government, from the Executive through the Legislative and Judicial Branches who have forgotten that they are supposed to be a government for the people, not for the corporations. We have no representation in Washington anymore.  There’s no one looking out for our interests. We don’t have back pockets big enough to put even one politician in. They’ve sold us out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)