Obama nixes Plan B pill availability without prescription

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

The FDA wants Plan B contraception to be available to women/girls of "childbearing age" without a prescription.
    I mean hey, you can get condoms at the drug store (or dispensaries in any bar restroom). Why not back-up contraception?
    But today Obama nixed that idea.

My opinion on this may surprise some (who think us libtards think in lockstep on all issues).
    I support Obama's decision on this.
    Why?
    Two reasons:
    1. I don't like the idea of 11-year-olds popping morning after pills like candy.
    2. I have a bad feeling about this pill. As "the pill" has come to light as causing long-term health problems for women, I just know "Plan B" will be shown to cause cancer, sterility, blood clots or other equally heinous health problem. Unlimited access WILL increase the likelihood of multiple (if not routine) usage. Not a good idea.

As per the other thread going on the FDA, it seems to me that the FDA is very hasty to rush drugs to market which later must be recalled because they turn out to be lethal...

What do you think?

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this move. On the one hand, not every woman is able to make it to a clinic in time to get Plan B, and every woman deserves as much opportunity as possible to prevent unwanted pregnancy in case of an accident. It's better in every possible way to prevent it than to end it after the fact.

On the other hand, Plan B is called Plan B for a reason. It's a backup method to be used in case of the failure of your real birth control method, not as your primary form of birth control, and I am equally uncomfortable with the possibility of women (of any age!) popping it like Tylenol. At least if you have to go to a clinic, they'll notice that you're having awfully frequent "accidents" and try to get you on a better form of birth control.

Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a shock, Kerry. You and I think virtually alike. You expressed my ambivalence very well. Thanks! smile

I'm wondering where the pro-lifers are on this. I would expect them to be jumping up and down celebrating. Except for one problem. It's Obama who made the hard call -- and God forbid we give HIM any credit for anything, eh?

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any time you introduce artificial substances into the natural order of the body you are at risk of side effects.  One needs to weigh those risks and proceed accordingly.
      How many women know the risk of using the pill or other contraceptives, yet utilize them anyway?  How many people know the risks of smoking, drinking, and drugs of any kind and indulge anyway?  People should be free to make choices with mimimal government interference after they are presented with the current information regarding those choices.  We did not start out as sheep but we are surely transforming into them.
      As far as Obama goes, do you really think deep down, he really made the decision?  Pretty sure it was his handlers telling him it would help his political situation if he looked like he cares.  Truth is, he really does not give a whit about anything except getting reelected then leaving the office so he can make mega bucks on the speech and book circuit.  That's the reality if you really care to examine it.

It surprised me, honestly.
        It was Kathleen Sebelius, head of Health and Human Services who officially took it down, but of course it's Obama reelection motivated.

If one's goal is only to make money with books and tours, then spending  4 or 8 grueling years in the White House doesn't make a lot of practical sense. Others are already reaping the financial benefits of their fame.
        Look at Palin. Look at Cain. Look at McCain. Heck. Look at Snooki.
        Does 4 more years of being POTUS make Obama more marketable as a speaker/author?
        And how much is W making on books and speaking tours?
        I don't agree that that is or ever was Obama's motive. Or any president's, really.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Women need to accept the fact that they are the gate keepers of genetic reproduction. If you let a man in, then you need to understand that you're stuck with the present he leaves. (Rape is obviously a different situation)

Life isn't fair and the sexes are not equal.

That being said, freedom is as freedom does. Pills should be available to those who prove they're capable of making important decisions. The decision should be left to those who are able to pay for their own way - i.e., pay for their own home, can pay for their own sustenance (however minimal) - as opposed to "random age #9"

Hi Evan,
      Sorry, I'm not completely following you here.
      I understand and agree with paragraphs #1 and #2, although I would suggest that the male can play a role in preventing unwanted pregnancies. It's not all on the woman's shoulders (or other body parts).

Are you saying the Plan B pill (or any birth control pill) should be available to those "who prove they're capable of making important decisions." (?) Is the criteria that you can pay for the pill (which shouldn't be difficult to do?)or that you show you are financially responsible?
      Please elaborate. Thanks.

As it now stands, they are saying 17 is the cutoff age for getting Plan B without prescription. Why 17 and not 18 I have no idea. No consistency on what is an 'adult' for voting or serving in the miltary purposes vs. legally drinking alcohol... but I digress.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course the man can prevent unwanted pregnancies. Easily. Just use a condom. But the woman shouldn't let the man in without one.

You know me: crazy "legalize everything" man. However, the government shouldn't be paying for it.

Quick question: Where in the constitution is the power to "provide legislation and funding regarding birth control" given to the federal government? Obviously the answer is "no where". In fact, the power to do so is actually prohibited to the Federal government via the 10th amendment. GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OUT.

The issue, when talking about things that require "adult decisions" becomes "when is someone an adult?". The answer that our government has forced on our society is "18 years after birth".

The statement you make about "consistency" is an important one. It shows that our government is just arbitrarily saying XYZ and not paying attention to any sort of natural law -- the same natural laws that our States were founded on.

This isn't true for everyone, and it shouldn't be held as a standard. It's just completely artificial.

True adulthood begins with self-reliance. Once you don't need your parents' support anymore, you are allowed to do with your body/property as you wish.

If the issue is "do you need a prescription", I'm not at all sure how the drug works, but I would imagine that getting a prescription the day after would be quite impossible.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Condoms break, people are raped, people pass out and are abused while unconscious etc

When these things happen, preventing the egg for releasing to prevent conception is responsible and should be allowed.

It should occur as soon as possible and so requiring a prescription seems an unnecessary barrier given how safe the drug is.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

agree with the overruling.

I thought Plan B is ok after 72 hours after sexual intercourse, they can have time for prescription (teens).

If only some people are not resisting the availability of condoms/contraceptives for teens anywhere (in school) etc.

If only sex education is well integrated into primary education

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)