jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Veteran dies from "agent orange", should their name go on the wall?

1. backporchstories profile image85
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Agent Orange was an poison used in Vietnam during the war and many US Soldiers were exposed and later in life died.  Do those who have fallen to Agent Orange, deserve to have their names added to the Vietnam Memorial Wall?

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

They served. That should be enough to be on that wall, especially if the effects they had were directly related to the action.

backporchstoriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Agent Orange was certainly a direct effect to these men who later died.  But right now only the POW, MIA and those fallen during battle are on the wall.  So the fact that they served and then later died as a result, I would agree!  Their names should be added to the fallen.  Thanks for your reply.

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

The criteria appear to be the death had to occur during the war, although under FAQ there is a question =L  Q: How do I get a name added to the memorial for a serviceman who died as a result of his service in the Vietnam War?
    Answer is a bit ambiguous.

I could definitely see a category of "post-war casualties" to include Agent Orange poisoning. There are other combat holdover conditions that could be included as well. PTSD, alcoholism/addiction, paralysis.
    To me, the idea of making the wall more inclusive woud be appealing.

backporchstoriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I never thought of it until my husband, who is a Nam Vet, brought it up the other day!

4. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

If the government can take 20 or 30 years to give a veteran hero a metal they deserved during their tour of duty then they can put these veterans on the wall.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

No.  The criteria should and probably do include direct cause and a time frame.  Agent Orange deaths at a delay have multiple causes not much different from any injury that was not in itself fatal.

6. profile image60
    geordmcposted 5 years ago

Their names SHOULD be added. Even if time has passed if Agent Orange was in their systems it should be allowed.

7. profile image60
    geordmcposted 5 years ago

Their names SHOULD be added. Even if time has passed if Agent Orange was in their systems, at any time, it should be allowed.

8. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

They should be on the wall, every last one of them. In fact, there should be a wall for agent orange vets, alive and dead.

9. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 5 years ago

Every soldier that ever fought to defend this nation should be memorialized, honored, respected and remembered.

Anyone that fought in Viet Nam that has subsequently succumbed to wounds received and/or exposure to the weapons of war should be listed on that wall.

working