jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Steve Smith, reputed white supremacist, wins election GOP seat

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

By James Eng, msnbc.com

Leaders of the Republican Committee of Luzerne County, Pa., are trying to figure out whether they can oust a reputed white supremacist who was elected to the committee with one vote – his own.

Steven Smith, co-founder of a racist group called the Keystone State Skinheads, was elected to one of two committee seats for his district, Pittston City's Ward 4, during Pennsylvania’s April 24 primary election.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ … ansmsnbc11
    Well it looks like the GOP is changing a bit?

2. livelonger profile image90
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

David Duke, former KKK grand wizard and "family values" champion, won in Louisiana a while back. Smith and Duke apparently do speak on behalf of large-enough constituencies.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

ROFL... look up Robert Byrd.  We in WV have HIGH SCHOOLS named after him.

1. livelonger profile image90
        livelongerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, although I think he renounced that part of his past. I don't think Smith or Duke have...

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

He renounced publicly but his voting record and other decisions say otherwise.  He was a southern democrat to a tee.  He was a hell of a politician though and he did a lot for the state... but he was a bigot until the day he died.  *shrugs*  I actually sort of liked him.  That's how good he was smile

1. livelonger profile image90
            livelongerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Most of the Dixiecrats crossed over to the Republican Party when it took the mantle of social conservatism (and, frankly, wink-wink bigotry), but I guess Byrd was among the holdouts.

3. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

Somehow, someway I was under the impression that political representatives are supposed to be for all the people of America. Seeing as how blood was shared by all races in America's wars symbolizing the red on our American flag. We do our soldiers, veterans and our country an injustice when we allow bias, bigotry to symbolize who we are as Americans.

working