Who is present at the doctor's office to protect a teenage girl from civil right

1. ecoggins profile image91
    ecogginsposted 8 years ago

Who is present at the doctor's office to protect a teenage girl from civil rights abuses?

Recently, a teenage girl was forced to have the HPV vaccine after she told the doctor she did not want it. When the teenage girl objected further, the doctor told her to shut up because no one was listening to her and then stuck her with the syringe without permission. If parents are not allowed to know when a teenage girl goes to the doctor for sex-related issues, who then is present to advise the teenager of their personal rights.

2. HappyHer profile image60
    HappyHerposted 8 years ago

Responsibility falls on the parent. Why on earth wouldn't a parent "be allowed" to know?  Where were this teens parents and what kind of unhealthy relationship is there when a teen can't talk to her parents about going to the doctor? 

Sex education in schools should also discuss rights and options in regard to health issues and teens should be encouraged to find trusted adults to talk with if they can't talk with their parents.

3. dr c profile image76
    dr cposted 8 years ago

I believe that California Family Law allows for minors of any age to receive services related to pregnancy or sexual assault, with the exception of sterilization without parental consent. Minors 12 years and over can receive care related to rape. Although minors may receive treatment without parental consent in these circumstances, I believe that the provider must either contact the parents to inform them or document why they believe this to be inappropriate. That said, when a minor legally receives services without parental consent, they then have their own rights. I don't believe a doctor can force a minor to have a procedure if the minor is in charge of their own treatment. It sounds as if the doctor involved wasn't listening very carefully to his client - but she would have had to specifically choose to go there without her parent's consent and request services. The law doesn't preclude parents from knowing about certain services, it just provides the option for cases where notifying the parents would be detrimental to the minor. Just my 2c's

working