jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why is it necessary to forgive those who have hurt you?

1. aricky22 profile image60
    aricky22posted 8 years ago

Why is it necessary to forgive those who have hurt you?

2. Mekenzie profile image83
    Mekenzieposted 8 years ago

It is necessary to forgive so that you are not weighed down or in pain.  You need to forgive so you can move on.  Unforgiveness breeds anger and bitterness - it ends up hurting you - not the person who offended you.

When you hold on to anger toward someone what you are actually doing is giving them power over you.  You give them the power to make you angry.  Don't do that.  Don't allow anyone to have the power to disrupt your life. 

I had to learn this lesson myself.  A very wise and loving friend taught me the concept of forgiveness - whether or not the person deserves it - is not the question!

3. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

I don't think it's neccessary, if someone's hurt me, I prefer to move on with my life and forget about their existance alltogether! I wouldn't go out of my way to offer forgiveness to someone who's hurt me as I'm sure as soon as I'd offered forgiveness they'd just go and do the same thing over again. In my opinion it's better just let them be who they are and move away from them and their wicked ways.

4. Mekenzie profile image83
    Mekenzieposted 8 years ago

Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.  The Forgiveness Prayer is a Healing Prayer and It WORKS! read more

5. profile image43
    dmyers7usposted 8 years ago

It's not necessary to forgive but I tend to think it's better for me to do so and then move on.  I forgive but I don't usually forget.  I think it takes too much energy to hold onto negative feelings, not to say there aren't some situations that can't be easily overcome but I try and let go and just be wary of the person in the future.  Trust may not be there anymore depending on what they did.

working