jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How does one develop empathy?

1. Faisal Zaheer profile image73
    Faisal Zaheerposted 7 years ago

How does one develop empathy?

Not everyone goes through the same life experiences. Some people - because of their environment - develop empathy while other don't. What would be an effective exercise which would help a person develop empathy?

2. Missi Darnell profile image64
    Missi Darnellposted 7 years ago

I love your questions Faisal. One is not born with empathy it has to be taught. Put yourself in someone else's shoes ask yourself how you would feel. That's empathy. I try and teach my children in this manner. Something happens to someone and we discuss how that person might feel and how they would feel if that happened to them.

3. ramkkasturi profile image61
    ramkkasturiposted 7 years ago

Understand the other persons circumstances and ask yourself how you would act under the same circumstances.For example, a parent can always ask himself or herself how they would behave at the same age as their child.Often children are punished due to lack of empathy by parents

4. oldrick profile image75
    oldrickposted 7 years ago

Try remembering a situation where you and someone else had a different opinion. Then when you have that memory see it through your own eyes and remember what you thought and what you felt. Then 'float' into the other person's body and see you and the situation through their eyes and notice what different thoughts and feelings you have. It's a matter of practice.

working