jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you answer your phone, or let the answering machine get it?

1. mshunt profile image59
    mshuntposted 7 years ago

Do you answer your phone, or let the answering machine get it?

My wife gets all tweaked when I don't answer my phone but instead let the answering machine get it. When she raises a fuss, I tell her that's why I invested in an answering machine.

2. TwO1FouR profile image60
    TwO1FouRposted 7 years ago

Hahaha Nice! I usually let the answering machine get it if I don't recognize the number.

3. bjspivey-rivers profile image72
    bjspivey-riversposted 7 years ago

Definitely the answering machine.  Some people feel like they have to answer the phone because it is ringing.  But answering the phone is a choice.  At my house it is mostly people asking for money who call.  If my friends or family call, they know to leave a message and I will call back.  The phone marketers usually hang up before the machine message is finished.

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

depends on whose calling or if they decide to not reveal their number.  lol if I were you wife we would be having the same argument......How dare YoU!

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

dpends on what kind of mood iam in sometimes i just dont want to talk to peopple

6. qtkeeks profile image54
    qtkeeksposted 7 years ago

I let it go straight to voicemail. Then I choose to return the call.

7. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

You are screening your calls.  If you had a secretary answering the phone, most likely she/he would screen your calls for you.
    I screen my calls. If I am busy and my hands are physically occupied and I cannot answer the phone, the answering machine gets the call.  However, being on the other end as the caller, I get tweaked when I call my kids and they don't answer their phones and I get their voice mail. They wait to see who is calling by the number on their phone. I have friends who never answer their phone and the machine picks up. Sometimes I think the "Never answer the phone" business is rude. Since I don't care for the "Never answer the phone" approach, I answer the phone when it rings, but I'm not going to break my ankle getting there.

8. mshunt profile image59
    mshuntposted 7 years ago

Thanks for your responses. Now I have a perspective from both sides. I appreciate each of your inputs.

9. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately, today everyone in the world can get your phone number.  So, for a lot of people, the unwelcome calls can outnumber the welcome calls. 

For that reason, the phones and answering machines with call monitoring and/or caller ID were invented.

10. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 7 years ago

No phone. I love my privacy. Use a pay phone. There are other ways to communicate with people if you have to do it. Such as computers with email.