A Phone is ringing, do you HAVE to answer it?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

When you hear that blasted little inconsiderate piece of plastic and metal blaring out some noxious noise alerting you to impending disembodied communication like some sort of small child desperate for attention, do you feel that you HAVE to answer it straight away? Do you fall into some sort of panic that it will stop ringing before you get to it and will instead have that accusing, your too slow dial tone that means you missed the call (that you probably didn't even want to receive in the first place)?

I hate cell phones, because I get that imperative, answer the phone, might as well have that as my ring tune "Answer me NOW DAMNIT!". What I really hate is how people don't call when I am free and able to answer the phone with little trouble, no no, they call when I have just reached the top of the que, am trying to pack my groceries and pay for my goods at the same time. 5 minutes later when I am out of the shop and happy to answer? Hell no, never happens! EVER! If I get a call when I am out it is ALWAYS when packing my goods and paying for them, never when I am at the back of a long line with lots of time on my hands, never once I am out of the shop with good reception! Suffice to say I HATE cell phones, bloody intrusive things! Gahh!

One thing tho, since watching phonebooth I will NOT answer a ringing phone in a phone booth lol
    I hear the one on my walk to work ring from time to time and I just keep going, it takes a real strength of will to not answer the thing but if you have seen phone booth you will know why I make the effort lol

So what about you guys?
    Any other slightly crazy people out there who panic over a ringing phone?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is this a philosophical question?

kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could well be philosophical, why not? big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

No, I follow the advice of a professor friend of my father.

When asked to answer the phone in his lab, he just says "Hello phone!" smile

ROFL! Good practice lol

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

No...if I don't recognize the number or if it doesn't say who it is I don't answer it. When my TV is on I can send it right to voice mail smile

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I rarely answer the phone, unless I'm home. I hate answering it when I'm out and I hate other people doing it. I would love a device to put on my car to jam phone signals within a half mile radius, because one of my pet peeves is idiots that think they can talk on the phone and pay attention to the road at the same time.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I'm very sensitive to sounds. I find standard phone ring tones extremely stressful, so at home I have to answer if I am nearby otherwise I become very shaky and anxious as the ringing continues. Being in a public place with an unanswered phone ringing on and on is unbearable. It has brought me to tears on a number of occasions.

For my mobile phone, I selected the least aggravating musical tone I could find. I have it set fairly quietly and am able to ignore it reasonably easily if I am not in a position to answer.

Sure is nice to know I am not alone big_smile
      I don't quite get to the point of tears at all but I do get the anxiety and stressful sort of panic that the thing needs answering. I find it very strange that a little device like a phone can do that to a person but for me at least it does seem to, and I had the idea others get similar reactions to some degree. smile

6. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I run a tiny business from home so I really do feel I have to answer it otherwise I might lose work!

I don't enjoy using the telephone, even though I recognise its usefulness for arranging appointments etc.  I can't phone people up "just to chat" - it's simply not in my nature. 

To get around my aversion to unwanted callers such as salespeople I've developed several useful "get them off the line quickly" techniques and a sliding system of "polite, rude and very rude" for persistent offenders.

7. Merlin Fraser profile image61
    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years ago

Fixed phone or Cell...Depends where I am, if I am alone I will answer it, on the other hand how rude is it to answer a phone when you are with and talking to another person.

What you are saying is I'm sorry but whoever is ringing me is more important than you !

If is that important they will ring back.  With all these stupid smart phones they still don't have a button to press that  A) Stops the damn thing ringing while sending B0 A text to say Piss Off I'm busy !

These days even an incoming Text message has priority over actual one to one conversation. A cell phone ringing odds on the other person will look at the screen and say, "I must take this ..."

An estate agent did that to me and I just smiled and said, "Please carry on but don't excpect me to be still standing here when you're finished."

In a shop next in line to be served the phone rings, who gets priority you or the phone ?

The damn things have made Slaves of us all and Bloody Rude slaves at that.

" SMART PHONE;  PITY ABOUT THE OWNER !"

lol lol
      Brilliant quote!
      I will be using it lol

1. Merlin Fraser profile image61
        Merlin Fraserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's based upon a Italian Car advertisment I saw years ago,

Great big poster with the words :

"Designed by Experts,Built by Robots" written on it.

Someone wrote underneath... "Driven by Idiots!"

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

no...never feel i have to answer it unless family is calling...when i'm working I have to, but sometimes i set it to DND

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I tend to have to answer my own unless I know, for certain, it's someone I don't want to talk to, of course.  I have absolutely no urge to answer anyone else's - or a public - phone.   smile  I don't always keep talking after answering but I want pretty much all my calls.  I have kids.  Even though they're grown I still want to know they can reach me at all times.  I don't have more than quick conversations on my cell phone if I'm out somewhere, but I like cell phones.   I'm not above carrying a spare if I think it might be necessary.   lol    What I hate are answering machines/recordings for messages that could really have waited.  I don't want to use them, and I get irked to have to call mine to check messages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)