jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Weddings are becoming more extravagant by the day. Did you have a lavish wedding

1. L a d y f a c e profile image77
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

Weddings are becoming more extravagant by the day. Did you have a lavish wedding?

Was your wedding expensive and extravagant, or more modest?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Definitely modest...to a fault, maybe, but much more my style than all the floofy dresses and flowers that are just going to wilt and be thrown away shortly afterward.

My first wedding took place in the batch plant office of a concrete mixing company. The reception was an outdoor barbecue at a friend's house. My then-husband wore his work clothes, complete with the day's concrete dust caked all over them, and I wore blue jeans and a sweater.

When I married my husband, we did a civil ceremony in a local lawyer's meeting room. This time we all wore clean clothes, and the witnesses even dressed up a bit. I wore black jeans and a nicer sweater. The reception took place at the local Chinese restaurant, followed by drinks at home with my cousins and new husband. One of these days we might have a more "wedding-esque" ceremony, but it's really hard to justify spending that kind of money when there is so much other stuff needing our finances.

3. womenintouch profile image60
    womenintouchposted 7 years ago

My wedding cost me a total of $3,500 including a sit down dinner, and all the trimmings. My dress was $600 I got for $199 and the alterations was $20 the veil was free made by a friend in the store the same veil ($180) The brides maids dresses were $70 and the Tux for my husband was free and his grooms men paid $90 plus shoes. All the other extras were inexpensive. it takes planning and buying leading up to the date. Don't spend tens of thousands on one day, you could use that money for a down payment on a house or future plans . I wish I show you my pics you would not believe I got all that for a little price. This also inludes the reception hall, and all the decorations at the Wedding the church added these for free.

4. Loveslove profile image59
    Lovesloveposted 7 years ago

Well,im a firm beleiver in ' you have the wedding you want if you can afford it ' When I married the first time it was in a church and the reception was in the ballroom of the hotel my parents worked in ,I dont remember having any part of the planning at all except to buy my veil and borrow my best friends dress. ....8 years down the line I remarried in a registry office and the reception was in a country pub we all had steak !! 21 years after that we had a marriage blessing in our local church which was also to celebrate our 50th birthdays,that was followed by a Barn Dance in the church hall......non of those do's were expensive by todays standards ..I am told the average wedding today costs £15,000 ...WELL,a year ago my daughter got married,in church with  a reception at a country manor ,all the fancy trimmings, a lavish affair indeed ,she had the best we could afford,paid for by us,the inlaws and the happy couple,I lost count of the cost after the open top rolls and the dress at £875 ....BUT I am pleased to say at the end of the day I still had a bank balance and didnt owe anyone any money...unlike my friend who is still paying for her daughters wedding 5 years down the line !!

working