jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

Do you believe infidelity is becoming more and more common and accepted?

1. BenWritings profile image77
    BenWritingsposted 7 years ago

Do you believe infidelity is becoming more and more common and accepted?

"I've only cheated once". I have heard that one way too many times. Do you think cheating is overlooked nowadays?

2. Dovay Lee profile image37
    Dovay Leeposted 7 years ago

Different people have different opinions about beliefs. all depends on your own choices.

3. atlovesbm profile image75
    atlovesbmposted 7 years ago

Definitely not. Well, maybe to some people but to me, once a cheater always a cheater.

4. profile image0
    Dandraposted 7 years ago

Yeah., and how do I know...I'm doing it right now!                            .

5. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Actually, I think cheating is less tolerated now than, say, 50 years ago. Once upon a time divorce carried a really nasty social stigma, the dutiful wife was expected to serve her husband, and if her husband should stray, well, "men will be men" and she should have simply served his needs better (with a societal double standard that a woman who cheats is a harlot and her husband has every right to divorce her). As such, many could cheat with fewer repercussions than cheaters today might encounter.

Personally, I know that if I ever caught my husband cheating I'd be liable to completely remove certain private parts with a rusty spork, and nearly every woman I know feels the same -- and most men I know too, though not in those exact terms. Maybe there are more people that will tolerate cheating, but personally I think that it's just not hidden as much as it used to be -- now if someone cheats it reflects badly on the cheater, not on his/her significant other.

6. wormdo profile image59
    wormdoposted 7 years ago

Absolutely not. There's always going to be people who cheat and think it's okay unfortunately but most people I meet really hate the whole idea of infidelity.

7. theseus profile image80
    theseusposted 7 years ago

Yes, infidelity is becoming more common these days but I don't think that the same will ever be accepted.

In matters such as relationships, I still believe that we are still pretty much conservative. We still want our partner to be loyal and true to us, in the same way that our partner expects that from us too.

8. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I don't know that it is becoming more common or those who participate in it are more careless. Infidelity is every bit as old as prostitution but society has changed its reaction to those who commit it over time.  In centuries past, it was an act that could get you executed or burned at the stake so there were ample reasons to be very secretive about it. In today's society, at best, it makes for a bit of embarassment and maybe a nasty divorce...nothing earth shattering in some folks mind. Society has become more tolerant of many things and as it does those things move closer to the surface....example, there were probably just as many "loose women" in the world in the 1950's as there are today...they were just harder to spot. WB

9. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

Sadly, the science shows that infidelity is at a very high level and gradually increasing in both men and woman. This is primarily because they lack the communication, planning and follow-through skills needed to meet each others' core-relationship needs. The popular media, from which so many people base their view of what a relationship really is, provides very unrealistic and relationship-harming models as well.

10. ChristineVianello profile image60
    ChristineVianelloposted 7 years ago

I think it is becomming more overlooked, it seems that more and more overlooked. It is so sad, I think why cheat on someone, why not leave the person your with instead of cheat on them?

11. arb profile image79
    arbposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately, it probaly is, but then, so are excuses!

12. Freethinker79 profile image59
    Freethinker79posted 7 years ago

Yes Sir, unfortunately. Its glorified and promoted. As a matter of fact if you dont or havent then thats considered bad.

13. HeavenzReality profile image58
    HeavenzRealityposted 7 years ago

unfortunately I feel that it is, but I would like to say it is society's fault for that. It became socially accepted in many ways. Woman are doing it more to gain equality (I feel) with men. & i will say this is just my opinion...

14. immolated profile image53
    immolatedposted 7 years ago

It is sad, but yes, society has become more accepting of cheating. It seems as if there is not much spiritual guidance to balance out othe lives' of alot of people and for so many, they just do not know better. T.V. only mentions Him when buildings blow up or hurricanes ravage cities, not when cheating breaks up families. Or when wonderful things happen.

15. cherrycrime26 profile image80
    cherrycrime26posted 6 years ago

I think people get married for all the wrong reasons and if your not happy in your marriage, you will cheat because your seeking that happiness that your marriage is lacking, never get married because its what expected of you, marry for love and only love.