jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

"Why buy the cow if you're getting the milk for free?"

1. Libra Rajani profile image60
    Libra Rajaniposted 7 years ago

"Why buy the cow if you're getting the milk for free?"

What are your comments on this and how does it relate to how you think about relationships?

2. Sweetsusieg profile image83
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

Generally this phrase was used in regards to a man not wanting to get married if the woman was willing to 'give up' her 'favors' out of wedlock... 

In terms of today's women, they are told "Why buy the pig, for a teeny weenie sausage."

Sorry I had to throw in a funny...

3. profile image58
    rieomposted 7 years ago

I do not think this statement is true anymore.  As a parent, I would rather my children live with a person before marrying them.  But, I will admit that this is per my experience coloring my thinking on this topic.

4. Lazer317 profile image80
    Lazer317posted 7 years ago

You buy the cow when the milk is the absolute best you've ever tasted...which means you've had you share of milk and are ready to finally get a cow. Moo.

5. Angel709 profile image59
    Angel709posted 7 years ago

Buy the cow because someday you may want ground beef.

6. L a d y f a c e profile image79
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

Personally, I think it's hilarious. It exposes human nature in it's raw, primitive state. There are tons of people in the world who want the benefits of a relationship, without all the extra stuff that goes along with it. I think this phrase was invented by someone who liked having 'relations', liked spending time together, but had no interest at all in committing.

ON the other hand...it may have been invented by a pompous putz with a superiority complex, who thinks they can go through life getting everything they want, without having to do the work that others do to get the same things.

smile

7. mcrawford76 profile image84
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

I would like to think that it means that you're supposed to wait until there is a genuine emotional connection to "the cow" to go along with "the milk" otherwise it's just a glass of milk, you drink it and walk away from the table.

working