jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is there a time limit on getting married?

1. tdebrick profile image61
    tdebrickposted 7 years ago

Is there a time limit on getting married?

Does the amount of years with a person determine where your relationship is?

2. lanealanea profile image60
    lanealaneaposted 7 years ago

No, I married my husband one week after dating. It has a ton to do with what you both want out of life and if you want to be and are best friends at all times

3. sarasca profile image73
    sarascaposted 7 years ago

The amount of time you've spent with a person NEVER holds weight as a determining factor in the status of a relationship.

What should be factors for consideration with regard to making a decision to get married are:

- Emotional bond
    - Level of trust
    - Intimacy
    - Companionship/friendship

Do you know things about that person that you don't like, but still love the person anyway?  Have you successfully had an argument and do not hold any lingering resentment or hostile feelings?  Are you seeking a marital bond because you want to spend your life with that person, or because you're afraid to spend your life alone (you can't be truly happy with someone else unless you're truly happy with yourself)?

Too many people take marriage and mate selection as casually as they do choosing what pair of socks to wear each day, so if you're serious about getting married, give it serious consideration.

4. Libra Rajani profile image60
    Libra Rajaniposted 7 years ago

I don't think so. I think it is the quality of time.
    Some couples today have spent years together and don't know anything about each other. People get married for the many reasons such as; financial, emotional, peer pressure, etc.
    On the other hand, some people have a connection after a short amount of time and it lasts a lifetime.
    That's what counts.

5. tysanders profile image61
    tysandersposted 7 years ago

I don't think there is a time limit. I was with my ex for 6 years and we were not ready for marriage. Now I'm with a great guy who I've been dating for less than 6 months and already we are trying to set a date. When the time is right it won't be an issue or forced. You'll both agree that you're ready and everything will fall into place.

6. craftybird profile image90
    craftybirdposted 7 years ago

Like I tell my friends, marriage isn't a life requirement, and the same goes with having kids, buying a house, or acting like a responsible adult!

7. JayDee Sterling profile image58
    JayDee Sterlingposted 7 years ago

Yes I think so, it does not take 7 (plug in any number over 2) years to know, especially if one person's goal is to get married and be married to that special person in their life and the other person stands on the soapbox of "I have committment issues".  No you don't, you have marriage issues.

Clocking hours, weeks, months, years, decades with someone who tells you they don't want to get married will not make them get married to you. They are just wasting your time, when you could have been out there pursuing or being pursued by someone who wanted to get married and spend years celebrating a wedding anniversaries.