jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do they called it "Goodbyes and people always coming back...

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image82
    Darknlovely3436posted 7 years ago

Why do they called it "Goodbyes and people always coming back...

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

"Good Bye" originally came from the phrase "God be with ye"-- as a blessing  when parting from someone. Meaning something like,"while we are not together to look after one another, let God do it."

3. Vicki.Pierce profile image71
    Vicki.Pierceposted 7 years ago

One never knows when they leave the presence of a loved one whether or not it is the 'final' good bye.

4. kallini2010 profile image82
    kallini2010posted 7 years ago

I find it funny, too.  Once you meet someone, you cannot "un-meet" him/her.  There is always a connection, - acquaintance, familiar face, friendship, love, hate...

but not oblivion.

And people tend to come back, no matter how FINAL final good-bye was.

I just had it the other day - someone from the past, someone I thought I would never see again.  I did not remember his face, his name... and he jumps at me out of nowhere "Where have you been? How have you been?"

I did not want to say that not only I don't remember your name and you, I am pretty sure you don't remember mine.  So I started with my usual non-sense "I have been here most of the time, except for the trip to the Moon."  They guy did not seem to get it, but his friend whom I saw for the first and (last?) time in my life was laughing.

I guess I said "Good-bye" again.  Will it happen again?  Deja vu? "Hi, where have you been?...."

5. Rosie2010 profile image77
    Rosie2010posted 7 years ago

I like Rochelle Frank's answer.  I believe that is correct.  It used to be "God be with you" and shortened to our present "Goodbye".