Why do nice people always get hurt the most?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Sia184 profile image61
    Sia184posted 9 years ago

Currently at the point where i have been in many failed relationships after putting my all into them and getting cheated on, betrayed, lied to etc.

I'm at the point of giving up. Is it me, my luck or the guys I know?

Can anyone offer any advice on what i seem to be doing wrong?
    Thank you in advance.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The only thing all of your past relationships have in common is YOU.
      Each of us (chooses) our own friends, lovers, and spouse.
      Whenever someone keeps having bad experiences in relationships it's time for them to re-examine their "mate selection criteria".

Truth be told a lot of folks do not have a "process" for selecting whom to engage with. They've bought into the idea that it's "unromantic" to evaluate before jumping into relationships. They believe in the "follow your heart" philosophy. In other words they allow "impulsive connections" and "happenstance" to dictate their relationship choices.

That's the equivalent of going shopping without a list!
      You're likely to toss anything into your cart on whim.

When we change our circumstances change.
      Everyone has the ability to learn from their mistakes.
      You can learn to (choose better people to date) based upon traits you desire. You are the "buyer". You have the option to say "yes" or "no"!

Never separate your mind from your heart when making relationship decisions. The purpose of the mind is to protect the heart.

You may want to Google and look over a book called:
      My Cat Won't Bark! (A Relationship Epiphany).
      It's about learning to approach relationships with complete awareness, having realistic expectations, and using self-empowerment techniques.

The world may not owe you anything but (you) owe yourself the world!
      Don't give up! Best wishes.

2. Richawriter profile image85
      Richawriterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm a guy and it happened to me a lot too!

Perhaps it's something you do in the relationships that leads to the cheating and the breakups? We have to consider this as a possibility, we have to consider everything.

In my case, I was "too nice".

I was so nice that they got bored of me. Everything was on plate for them, and they never had to work for it. Can you imagine that? Imagine the most delicious food you've ever tasted being delivered to your doorstep, your bedroom door, bathroom door etc. What once was delicious soon becomes boring and bland, and no matter how nice, expensive or nice looking it is, you soon start looking at other menus if only to try something new.

HOWEVER. Imagine that same food was given to you only in return for you doing something for it first, as a reward. How would it be then? It would be much more valuable to you wouldn't it? You'd work for it because you know it isn't easy to come by. You can't just snap your fingers and it's on your plate.

It's the same in your relationships. If you're giving everything and getting nothing back, for you to keep giving is a bad move because they'll soon grow bored of the ease with which they can take from you. Then they'll naturally gravitate to other girls through sheer boredom and lack of challenge.

But if you give a lot from the beginning and they don't give back, take that as a sign they are wrong for you or they need reminding of just how good you really are. So if you find yourself being the one always calling them for example, slow down a little, pull back. Let them call you sometimes, let them miss you, let them "give" while you "take" for once.

Make them work for you and if they really want to be with you, they'll stick around, and they'll appreciate the challenge, and the passion it stirs within them. If they don't want to work for you, they don't care about you enough.

Sometimes, though, we can even drive the "right" ones away by being overly nice and giving too much of ourselves.

Make sure they "give" and as much as you "give" and you'll have far more control and say in what happens to your relationships. The same thing can be applied to friendships too.

I hope you understand, and I hope I could help a little.

Cheers.

Rich

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First of all, congratulations for leaving him. To answer your question, "nice" people don't  always have strong parameters. Beginning right now, you have to decide what is good behavior and what is unacceptable behavior. If a man invades your parameters, you have to "put on the brakes." You also have to recognize the difference between a worthwhile man, and one who is not. Long story short, don't waste your time on men who always take, and almost never give. Relationships have to be "balanced," for the most part. You would do well to stop giving so much of yourself so soon. Observe his behavior before putting your heart into any relationship. Best of luck to you.

4. Phil Perez profile image61
      Phil Perezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice people don't get hurt the most, unwise people get hurt the most (no offense).

I once thought this myself thinking if I were to do something nice, generous, altruistic that I'd have someone reciprocate what I did. That's false. What you do doesn't control what they do. You'd think it's a logical tactic to get what you want but it isn't mainly because people are greedy. They take advantage to get more than they believe they deserve.

You can be nice, but have self-respect. Find boundaries that don't permit others to find weaknesses in you so you don't get hurt. Or, do what I do and change your mindset. I'm not saying to be mean, I'm saying try to understand why you get betrayed and cheated on. I usually think deeply and would say that it's because they're troubled and can't handle with their emotions properly. They lack confidence. It makes me feel better because it makes sense, and I conclude that I'm better off without them.

2. BritanyMoss profile image60
    BritanyMossposted 9 years ago

You aren't doing anything wrong! The right guy will come along when you're not expecting it. Maybe it's that 'nice guyfriend' you don't see as a boyfriend. Someone, sameday will sweep you off your feet and make it where you never even think of those awful relationships, or maybe you'll look back and think, "what tools!" you don't need to find anyone, someone will find you smile
    xoxo

3. Sia184 profile image61
    Sia184posted 9 years ago

Thank you so much for the help smile it's been so hard these past few months, ive just been in a depressed mood and have been missing my ex-boyfriend even though I was the one that ended the relationship. I think it's hard to get back on your own feet after a breakup, you feel unhappy and insecure. But your kind words have helped me smile so thank you for that xoxo

1. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're obviously better than the guys you've been dating. It is tough when a relationship ends - even if you're the one who ended it because it's a loss of sorts. But, better to end it than to stay in an unhappy relationship and allow someone to lie to you and cheat on you.

Your guy will come along. Many men are in the same boat and are just looking for a woman who wants the same things they want.

Don't be so quick next time a guy looks your way. Make him earn the right to be with you. And don't ever accept anything less than being treated like the wonderful lady you are!

1. Sia184 profile image61
        Sia184posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your kind works! It's quite hard but I'm managing to get back on my feet again. It has only been a few months so it will take time but I'm sure I'll get there eventually! You're right, next time I won't enter a relationship so quickly.

Thank you anyway smile

2. BritanyMoss profile image60
      BritanyMossposted 9 years agoin reply to this

anytime sweetheart,
      hey if you think you made
      a mistake, do what you need to do and when you've found yourself, go back. If he's not the one, well he's out there someday. Go adventure. Have a great day

4. efeyas profile image76
    efeyasposted 9 years ago

Check out her site : http://www.aphroditeastrology.com/2012/ … uence.html

Just some really great advice on men, women, dating and life in general. Make sure to read the comments! Just really valuable insights, one article has over 5,000 comments ! Good luck!

5. Keith Whipple profile image60
    Keith Whippleposted 9 years ago

I think people today rush into things too fast.  I know people who date a person a few times and then want to jump into a relationship.  These people need to slow down.  Talking to the person for a few months and dating over that time will give you time to see if the actions of a person are put on for show or if this is the person's core values.  If you and this person, where suppose to be together the extra time will mean nothing and should provide a stronger relationship.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

I heard that in the fourteenth century "nice" meant "ignorant."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)