jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?

1. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 7 years ago

What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?

2. R.Cochran profile image80
    R.Cochranposted 7 years ago

The death of a loved one or close friend. Everything else is on the table.

3. Bronson_Hub profile image59
    Bronson_Hubposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4525006_f260.jpg

As for the death of loved one, my grandmother's 3 sons, myself, and a few other close relatives stayed by her side during her last hours. She continued to fade, so we asked if she wanted her favorite drink, a martini.  She raised her frail arm strapped with tubes and monitors. With a bony "thumbs up!" she punctuated her exit from this world.  Her urn sits above her desk at her and my dad's old business to this day.  It reads "Ashes of Problem Employees" (see photo).

As for the question, context and tact would be the best criteria to determine when and with who, but not so much what, we can joke about.

4. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i think humour is a good thing in almost all cases but like anything there is a time and place. the death of a loved one is probably the only time i can think of off hand where humour is wrong.

5. lynevejcnt profile image56
    lynevejcntposted 7 years ago

hmmmm.... Maybe race, death, someones insecurities (only if you know the person is really sensitive), someones nice gestures

6. Dr. Amilia profile image37
    Dr. Amiliaposted 7 years ago

Anything personal. Believe me your friend may laugh with you at the time but it hurts them forever.

7. perfectperception profile image61
    perfectperceptionposted 7 years ago

Emotional events, whether it death, breakups, fall outs, whatever breeds negative feelings from the person you are joking with.

working