jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is making eye contact, & flirty/smiling, briefly, with a total stranger

1. Inspired to write profile image77
    Inspired to writeposted 7 years ago

Is making eye contact, & flirty/smiling, briefly, with a total stranger

Is making eye contact & then flirty/smiling, only briefly, with a total stranger, whilst you & your love are out & about on a date together, disrespectful, & if so, why? Both men & women's points of view of this issue would be highly welcomed.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

If you are with your girl, why would you want to do that?  No, it doesn't mean you are going to cheat but it is sort of thoughtless to the girl you are with.  It is like you are saying the grass here with me and my girl is green but it looks greener over THERE.

Just smiling and nodding is one thing but flirting is disrespectful.  She is there for you, for your date, to spend time together--be present in that moment and save flirting for another time.

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Flirting with someone else in any degree while in a relationship is extremely disrespectful. It's basically telling your partner that you're still looking and entertaining other possibilities, and that you're paying more attention to the people around you than to the person you're with. Even worse, it can sow the seeds of doubt in your significant other's mind, and who could really blame them for wondering? It's very important to not even allow the barest hint of impropriety. Then again, my husband and I have both been cheated on in previous relationships, so maybe we take a few more steps than is "normal" to ensure that we foster complete trust. Neither of us expects the other to do it, it's just something we do for each other out of understanding for the pain and trust issues we've both had to deal with before.

4. Glenn Raymond profile image57
    Glenn Raymondposted 7 years ago

I think it would truly depend on the person making the initial eye contact, and on the person who receives the look, and the girlfriend/boyfriend.  Everyone is different, so I would think there is no way to set this in stone.

Just eye contact cannot be considered flirting.  I think it has to have some body language to back it up, like a come-hither smile.  And I have to say, my wife and I both do it all the time.  We tell one another, and we know it would never go anywhere because that just is not what we want.

On the other end of that, my wife came home one day and said, "By the way, if the fax phone rings and a guy asks for me just tell him he has the wrong number!"  When it happened, I did as she asked and he never called back.  She did not want to be blatantly rude to the guy, yet she has a hard time saying no to anything.  It's all good.

This is an excellent question.  Thank you for asking it.

5. soconfident profile image84
    soconfidentposted 6 years ago

Some people will mistake I contact for flirting, when you were only be polite.

6. profile image48
    ibluvshrss2posted 5 years ago

noooo way!! If you're with your girl who you love and respect, don't go flirt with a total stranger!!! She'll look at you funny (both of them!)