How Do you Forgive?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 12 years ago

How Do you Forgive?

How do you forgive someone who insists that he had not done you wrong when you were in fact hurt by him?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

Say that I am going to forgive someone, and practice more an more every day, realising to forgive sets you free of the anger, hatred, pain, and suffering.

3. FaithDream profile image79
    FaithDreamposted 12 years ago

Forgiveness is very difficult once trust has been broken. The only thing is to start each day, under no pressure, to slowly let it go.
    When a heart is hurt, a gate of protection comes upon us so we won't get hurt again.
    Give yourself time to forgive.. it is essential to let it go because unforgiveness only destroys the person who was hurt.

4. CarolineVABC profile image68
    CarolineVABCposted 12 years ago

Sometimes, people are unaware that they have hurt you or refuse to admit to it.  I would say pray and ask God for you to let go of the hurt inside you, and to learn to forgive the other person.  It is the only way that you can be freed of anger and resentment because at the end, the other person has moved on, while you are still holding a grudge.  Free yourself of hatred and resentment, and move on with your life.  Maybe, take up a hobby, volunteer or do something that you enjoy to distract you from ill feelings.  I realize it is easier said than done because I have been a victim of such feelings, especially if it is someone you are close to or care about, and they don't seem to realize that they are still hurting you.  I would say let go and let God handle it.  Hope this helps!:-)

5. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

Totally agree with CarolineVABC's answer.  Involve God in the forgiving process.  You don't even need to involve the person who hurt you - you can forgive him without letting him know; you can do this between you and God.  That will allow you to move on.  If you do this correctly, freeing yourself from anger should be the main goal of all this, and not trying to 'make' anyone look at whether he really hurt you or not.  The fact is, a) you were hurt, but b) realize that ultimately your happiness shouldn't come from having him agree you were hurt. It should come from letting go of your anger and resentment, as CarolineVABC said.

Remember, forgiveness simply means forgiveness for the past events that the person has done to you.  It doesn't imply you need to involve them in your life, and likewise you're not compelled to place any future trust in that person.  You can forgive him for past events and let it go at that if you want to; forgiveness doesn't mean you are obligated to be buddies with him in the future. Hope this helps!

6. lolasjourney profile image60
    lolasjourneyposted 12 years ago

This is a terrible feeling! Some people are very cruel and selfish and feel it is ok for them to hurt others. It is very hard to forgive a person like this. 

It takes time.  Depending on how you were hurt, it may be wise to not speak to this person for awhile.  Distance may help heal your pain. 

Your pain has to healed first before you can forgive.  Try talking to someone about how you were hurt so you can get it out of your system.  Talking out loud is an important factor in letting go.

Once you are healed from the pain you will let go of the anger and it will be much easier to forgive.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Truly forgiving is very hard especially when they do not think they did anything wrong.  Try to forgive because if you don't they continue to have a kind of power over you.  Don't give them that power, let it go--but do not forget.  You may have to accept the fact he will never understand how he hurt you.  We can't change other people, only ourselves.

8. Glen619 profile image60
    Glen619posted 12 years ago

No one can give you that answer except God he teaches you how, humanly speaking its something impossible but with Gods help it can turn possible.

9. CMCastro profile image71
    CMCastroposted 12 years ago

Jesus said, when he was on the cross, "Father, forgive them they know not what they do." It is good to remember this when faced with someone else's adversity. I have remembered in my past when I truly believed that what I said or did was nothing wrong, and another person was affected by it. The person affected by the hurt sees it from one perspective, while the other person causing the hurt is only seeing it from another. God is the Final judge in all matters, in deciding who did wrong. The Bible gives instruction to follow Jesus, and that we must ask for  His forgiveness daily for sins "seen and unseen".
    I wrote a verse with in my hub called "How To Have Forgiveness Forever".  I will share it with you now.
    " So if you wish God to Bless
      You must then confess
      Love one another
      By forgiving them
      As sister and brother
      To be free of sin
       Seems absurd
       But we are forgiven
       By the Power of the Word."
    So, Lita, I hope I was helpful. I hope you read my hub on forgiveness. No one is really an expert at these things. If we were, we would be in Heaven by now. Just pray for the individual you wish to forgive. Ask God to reveal the situation to that person, and maybe the person would come up for an apology. BELIEVE that God can change all things.

10. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

Nothing feels worse than having someone say, "I'm sorry" when you clearly can see they don't believe they have done you wrong.
    I suspect if he said something along the lines, "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings...etc" Deep down you honestly wouldn't feel better.
    The apology would be nothing but words to appease you.

For some people apologizing when they think they did nothing wrong feels as bad as pleading guilty to a crime they did not commit. (Step away from your situation for a moment) If you felt like you did nothing wrong would you apologize? Would you plead guilty to a crime you didn't commit? Since we can't read each other's minds or hearts it's impossible to know if a person did something with the intent of hurting us or if we are just disappointed because they didn't live up to "our expectations".

Fogiveness is something (a person requests).
    This man is NOT asking you to "forgive" him.
    It's now up to you to either let it go or let him go.
    The choice is yours!

11. Love-Life profile image60
    Love-Lifeposted 12 years ago

Honestly, the ultimate forgiveness can only be found in God. Seek Him, and find forgiveness. Start by making up in your mind that you're ready to forgive. All I can say is find scriptures about forgiveness in the Bible, there are plenty! :-)

12. TerryK81 profile image60
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

Ask God. He does it everyday. Its a process and at first seems so impossible, not because the act itself is difficult, but because of feelings of being hurt, crossed, offended, and even pride gets a punch to the gut. forgiving does not make you weak; it shows that you clearly understand that holding on to hurt is destructive and imprisoning. Forgiving is easy once you come to that point. Jesus was in no wise a mere man. Hanging on the cross, constantly being cursed and ridiculed; He was slapped, mocked, spit upon, forsaken and betrayed and not even ONCE , not even by a mere milli-thought, did He ever plot revenge or hatred. Then you got all these men that wanna brag about themselves and their strength, oh please. Jesus was a real man among men because He always did what was morally right, even as hard as it can be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)