jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If the cheating spouse tells the truth, will the candour be appreciated?

1. mdlawyer profile image37
    mdlawyerposted 6 years ago

If the cheating spouse tells the truth, will the candour be appreciated?

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

If a person is really honest, he/she will tell the partner at the onset that something is troubling her/him about the relationship.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

How would I be able to believe him.  He cheats, which is a lie in itself, then decided to tell me truth?  My question would be how do I know this is the truth?

If the cheater was honest, he would have told his wife/her husband that were was something missing and that they were not happy in the first place instead of going out and compounding the problem with betrayal.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

It's a no win situation.

Sometimes cheaters will come clean because of the "guilt" they may be carrying around. This is especially true if it was a one night stand they had because of circumstance or a unique opportunity presented itself. They simply can't look their happy loving spouse in the eye without it eating at them. Their candour is actually a way to get the monkey off of their back.

If a scenario is such that their mate has suspected them of cheating and has been pressing them until they finally confess it's highly unlikely the truth would be appreciated because the so called "honesty" came as a result of pressure.

Another factor to consider is the "intention" of the cheater. Most people automatically assume the cheater will beg for forgiveness and want to work things out. However there are just as many who "drop the bomb" as a way of ending things with their mate. It's not unheard of for a cheater to announce he/she is in love with the other woman/man.

Regardless of the circumstances it's practically impossible to "appreciate" being hurt and betrayed. The time for honesty was when the person  felt like they needed something outside of their primary relationship. It's hard to give someone "points" for candour after the fact.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i'd appreciate it but i would still leave her without a doubt.