How do I go about getting Custody of my kid, when I'm not married?

  1. profile image48
    keiwinchesterposted 6 years ago

    How do I go about getting Custody of my kid, when I'm not married?

    Alright, I'm not married but I am in a relationship with another. We are constantly arguing, most of the time its about him not watching after our daughter. I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't work and I stay at home and take care of her all the time, I spend all my time with her. He keeps telling me if I was to leave that he would get full custody of her and that really scares me... I don't know what to do or how to go about it. I want to get a Attorney but I'd need help from the family. I'm just concerned about her being in his care, mainly when he can't even get up during the night to lo

  2. Mbshine profile image61
    Mbshineposted 6 years ago

    Look for Legal Aid in your community if you can not afford a lawyer. Or ask friends for a referral to a Divorce lawyer. Many, many honorable and reputable lawyers will at least allow you an initial visit with no charge.

    Please remember EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT...but there is a tendency in many states NOT to discriminate in any way between couples who are married or who were never married. Sadly...just in my some regions MARRIED COUPLES fighting for custody are the exception, and the majority of cases involve people who have never been married.

    Seek a compassionate professional, and all good luck,