What Does The Bible Say About Getting A Divorce?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 8 years ago

What Does The Bible Say About Getting A Divorce?

2. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

Divorce is an option Under the meaning of FORNICATION, , the term “fornication” is a rendering of the Greek word por·neiʹa and includes all forms of illicit sexual relations outside of Scriptural marriage. Hence, Jesus’ words at Matthew 5:32 and 19:9 mean that the only divorce ground that actually severs the marriage bond is por·neiʹa on the part of one’s marriage mate. The follower of Christ may avail himself of that divorce provision if that is his desire, and such a divorce would free him to marry an eligible Christian.—1Co 7:39.
    But the bible also says the heavenly Father
    Hates a Divorcing Mal 2:16  For I hate divorce,” says Jehovah the God of Israel, “and the one who covers his garment with violence,” says Jehovah of armies. “And guard yourselves respecting your spirit, and you must not deal treacherously.

1. Kiss andTales profile image59
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The point is gifts of animal sacrifices were done away with, and the New contract was a better contract that included all nations of people to have a real relationship with the heavenly Father based on the last gift Jesus his son. A gift to all.

2. profile image53
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

K&T: U KNOW? GRT! 
      I Cor 6:16 says "Do u know that if a man is married to a "harlot" (fornicator) she's still your wife if "IN CHRIST" for I Cor 7:13 says the "unbeliever" is "sanctified" by the "believer!" Law (Matt,Mk,Lk&Jn) r OT too-fulfi

3. Motherbynature profile image62
    Motherbynatureposted 8 years ago

There are only two biblical reasons for divorce:

1. Sexual immorality/adultery (Mark 5:1)
    2. Abandonment (1 Corin. 7:15,16)

Forgiveness is always the desired outcome but if the offending spouse is unrepentant then you are not obligated to stay.

True the one offended is not obligated to stay rather they are repented or not. For the reason of release has been done.

2. profile image53

The "Key" to a REAL "Marriage" (1st or 2nd) is "ONLY IN THE LORD" (I Cor 7:39)! If there's adultery in a "Marriage" I Cor 6:16 applies!

I Cor 7:15:16 "..God has called us to "rest" (peace)."  What's "peace" to you? If one "rests" no longer active!

3. Kiss andTales profile image59

There are people that are faithful to their mates and do not worship God. That does not mean they are adulterers.  Some people are not educated yet. And when they are they decide for them self.

4. profile image53

It doesn't matter "what people do," only what GOD has said regarding "Marriage!"  I find it "unScriptural" to "appease" ppl & not tell them the "truth!" Happy or not if "marriage" NOT (Key Words) "in the Lord," not a "Marriage" in GOD's sight!

4. ladyguitarpicker profile image74
    ladyguitarpickerposted 8 years ago

Some times divorce is the only thing that can be done. It also says that
    Jesus knew we had hard hearts so they made a divorce decree. I still think about this and wonder if we have followed the right way.

1. Motherbynature profile image62
      Motherbynatureposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I sometimes wonder, too.  Good thing Jesus forgives us for being lost.

2. Kiss andTales profile image59

Also dashing, the Jews made a covenant or contract with the Heavenly Father to be his people and follower his commandments.
      The other nations of people were not covered ,De 31:16 They will forsake me and break my covenant that I have made with them

3. profile image53

Lady: If u were not "in Christ," (Acts 2:42; Gal 1:6-9) during marriage, you were not "Married" in the sight of God!  If divorced (man's law) but not "in Christ," u were never married!  Now free to re-marry, "ONLY in the LORD! I Cor 7:39!

4. Kiss andTales profile image59

Norine the scriptures are clear , 1Co 7:13 and if a woman has an unbelieving husband and he is agreeable to staying with her, let her not leave her husband, he created the marriage bound, it is still valid rather
      or not you know Jesus.

5. profile image53

K&T: Would you pls read my response to the response (4th paragraph) I gave above! 

Who mentioned "an unblvr" departing? I repeat, if NOT (key Words) "in the Lord," not a "Marriage in the sight of God!"

6. Kiss andTales profile image59

Because, your statement is not valid, each person is  responsible for his own salvation to God rather they are married or not.marriage is benifits a man and woman .you can be married and fall to sin.

7. profile image53

GOD said "be fruitful & multiply!" Said nothing about "Marry" for the reasons we do-Lust, looks, money, status, etc!  If "IN CHRIST" love comes naturally!
      Yes, "we sin," but not "against our own bodies" (fornication/adultery)!  No desire!

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

Proverbs 21:19 (NKJV)
    "Better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and angry woman.." LOL!
    Mark 10:11
    "And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her."
    Mark 10:12 (KJV)
    "And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery"
    However one must bear in mind this same book also says;
    Exodus 31:15
    "Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death."
    Leviticus 20:9
    "Whoever curses his father or mother must be put to death."
    Thank God we have separation of church and state in the U.S.!

True in scriptures as read dashing , but we must remember people do all these things and are not dead or stoned, but what we have is the principals and examples of how the heavenly Father feels about the subject matter, also the Jews

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kiss andTales people have always "cherry picked" which scriptures (they) wanted to follow. I also believe (man) not God wrote the bible and religion was designed as a form of government for people of that era.

Interesting dashing you are right people pick what is convenient for them , but Like a piece of Art we have copies made by man , but the image and mind of the Artist,  the bible is the same. The message is not lost
      No matter the time and generations

4. profile image53

K&T: Why refer to the OT that has been "fulfilled!"  OT (Ex 31:15, Lev 20:9; Deut 31:16; Prov 21:19;Mk 10:11-12 "fulfilled" by Eph 5:31-32) have ALL been "fulfilled!"

Do we sacrifice? NO-as ALL were "fulfilled" under New Covenant! 

Diff era!

5. Kiss andTales profile image59

1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife,and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.
      marriage no matter who believes is sacre

6. profile image53

True but at least ONE must be "sanctified" or (Key Words) "in the Lord!"  God intended a REAL "Marriage" to be as "Christ is to the CHURCH, both Holy & "in the Lord" (I Cor 7:39) otherwise we WERE DEAD (Eph 2:1;Col 2:13;Rm 6:11; I Tim 5:16)!  DEA

6. profile image53
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

Society has moved "so far away" from the Word of God!  There are current "laws" established and being established that goes against the Word of God and have been in effect for so long, that even "believers," believe them!

Most will (generations from now, if not now) believe that "same sex marriage" (recently law) is from God!  But who cares?  Who reads or believes WHAT the Bible (God) says as long as it does not contradict what they believe or affect their lifestyles?  All seek "a teacher" that aligns with their "lifestyle" and usually therein find "membership!"  Well, (NEWSFLASH) it's not about us, it's about JESUS and what is written in His Word!

It's time we "return to God," what's written in His Word (Scripture)!  One can call it "ignorant, old-fashioned, a book of myths,"  WHATEVER, but "then comes the end!"

Now concerning your question Phoenix!  See my response to the question "Im a Christian and not married legally...But in God's eyes I am..Do you think its acceptable?" asked by ImAllEars on this website! 

If not "Married" according to the Word of God (Ephesians 5:31-32) both HOLY and "in the LORD," (I Cor 7:39), then YES, one has "free will" to do as they please!  However, once one is "IN Christ," God hates divorce and has told us "..what GOD joins together let not man put asunder!"  (Matt 19:6; Mk 10:9)  If GOD has joined marriage together (and not WE), there is no divorce.  However, if spouse dies (literally) one can re-marry but "only in the LORD" (I Cor 7:39)

Scripture has told us time and time again, that "Marriage" is HOLY and is "as Christ is to the CHURCH" (not Church/Catholic, but Disciples of Christ believers' or Jesus' CHURCH), as stated in Ephesians 5:31-32! 

Marriage (other than Jesus is God), is one of the Greatest Allegories in Scripture of which there is NO divorce if "IN CHRIST JESUS!

So Norine what do you mean you are not married legally? Explain how that is scriptual

2. profile image53

K&T: How did you come to that conclusion?

Married for 42+ yrs, not IN Christ @ 1st.  Now "In Christ" & I Cor 6:9-11 applies! V.11-Now clean by "His Blood!" See how Grace & Mercy works? NOW "Married" in the sight of God!  Always was re:

Norine your statement is not clear, you can not marry Jesus,
      Through religion, that is a doctrine of men., you said you was not legal in marriage,  but you did not specify how, all people do not live and see life and religion the way you do.

4. profile image53

Who said that? R u looking @ "the question a girl asked" in my resp?

Yes, one can be "married" to Jesus that's our goal to become His "bride" who He is gathering now (THE CHURCH)!  We are ONE as in a "Marriage!" (Eph 5:31-32)

It''s a GRT Alegory!

5. Kiss andTales profile image59

Norine that was written for the first pick of Jewish believers they are first picks to the Jobs of being beside Jesus in his Government.
      The many churches listed are not valid and many are called to judgment as a harlots in Revelation. They are not

6. Kiss andTales profile image59

Norine many churches are contaminated with the ways of satan,
      They have allowed satan to infiltrate his thoughts and ways,and many people see the hypocrisy in religion.So does God the Father, he will not allow the ways men practice come up in heaven

7. profile image53

Did I not say in my resp that "We have moved AWAY from the Word of God & need to return? That's why NO ONE blvs a TRUE "Marriage" should be "ONLY IN THE LORD!"  Moved too far fm GOD and they "believe" right is wrong & vice versa!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)