jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

When a man/woman is married, is it acceptable for them to meet new friends of th

1. scoop profile image84
    scoopposted 6 years ago

When a man/woman is married, is it acceptable for them to meet new friends of the opposite sex?

2. GirlSeekNDrum profile image56
    GirlSeekNDrumposted 6 years ago

Yes, as long as it stays just friends. Husbands & wives should be able to have friends of the opposite sex. It's healthy and normal. It shouldn't be a threat to the relationship.

3. profile image65
    Josh and Lindseyposted 6 years ago

Yes, but I think it also depends on the friend.  My husband has several female friends, and I trust him completely with them.  I know them all, and several are my friends, too.  They all share a similar sense of humor, interests, etc., but have no romantic interest in each other, so I'm fine with it, and he tends to chat with them via text more than hanging out with them in person, though they do meet occasionally for lunch, supper, etc. 

If he was hanging out with flirty girls or spending an excessive amount of time with them, I probably wouldn't be ok with it, but more because I wouldn't trust them than me not trusting him.

4. DonDWest profile image62
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

Of course it's perfectly acceptable, you can't be jealous.

5. PainReliefGuy profile image70
    PainReliefGuyposted 6 years ago

It depends on what the two of you agrees upon. "Acceptable" is a relative term. Two adults (especially if they live here in the United States) are free to spell out the expectations they have for one another. It's just best to have this conversation BEFORE getting married.

It's also a matter of discipline. Are either of you a s*x addict or prone to wanting what isn't yours. If so then stay away from situations where you are likely to be tempted to break the rules or blur the line between friend and friend with benefits.

6. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

good question.
    When you marry, you trust..... but I personally wouldnt encourage new friendships.........
    Third parties that are not to be trusted.