jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)

Is it better to be an insecure leader or a loyal, intelligent follower?

1. TheBlondie profile image60
    TheBlondieposted 6 years ago

Is it better to be an insecure leader or a loyal, intelligent follower?

2. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Neither is necessarily a bad thing. Though being in the position of being a leader and being insecure, can lead to abuses of power.

I would suggest that a loyal intelligent follower would have the upper hand. A true leader knows that they don't have to lead anyways. smile

Great question

3. gis_r07 profile image83
    gis_r07posted 6 years ago

I will say that it is better to be a loyal, intelligent follower. My reason is because an insecure leader has the propensity to make risky decisions that may have irreversible impacts on a sea of followers. However, the loyal, intelligent follower will be able to develop a filtering process by which he assesses which of the leaders' actions he agrees with from which he does not. The fact that he is intelligent will dictate that he has the capacity to discern, dispite his loyalty. The loyal, intelligent follower will learn from his leader's mistakes and one day become a great leader himself.

4. Matt in Jax profile image69
    Matt in Jaxposted 6 years ago

I'd much rather be the intelligent follower as you could easily usurp the insecure leader who will fail eventually making you an intelligent and loyal leader smile

5. profile image0
    Dandraposted 6 years ago

Insecure leader, because you make a lot of money. Just saying.

6. JMAW profile image59
    JMAWposted 6 years ago

tough question.  i don't like either choice.  i guess a loyal, intelligent follower of oneself.  that's what i'm going to roll with.

7. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

A loyal follower will be a better choice than insecure leader. That will be my choice.

8. Sulal profile image36
    Sulalposted 6 years ago

You can't have great leaders with out great followers and a follower is every bit as important as the leader. Egos aside, I'd much rather be a loyal, intelligent follower than an insecure leader.

9. Jowy2000 profile image84
    Jowy2000posted 6 years ago

Depends on how you deal with your insecurity. These types of leaders can be great if they can utilize teamwork and get everyone involved. Their role as a leader is then more to motivate and create good relationships and cooperation rather than make decisions for others. These kinds of leaders can be very effective when it comes to certain things.

Basically, as an insecure leader make sure you're leading something that an insecure leader can lead well at and that you know how to do so. Otherwise be a follower.

10. Buffoon profile image72
    Buffoonposted 6 years ago

Ahem.... "Insecure leader" is a bit of an oxymoron, I would say smile Now, "insecure boss" that's something that is not only very plausible but very common smile

11. yiasa profile image60
    yiasaposted 6 years ago

well actually i would speak for the leader. Because everyone will say do that do this and do bla bla bla bla ..... But although the leader is insecure he's paving the path for a brilliant leader in the upcoming future.

12. GNelson profile image78
    GNelsonposted 6 years ago

To be a good leader you have to be capable of being a good follower.  So a intelligent follower would make a good leader.  That would be my choice.

13. jtyler profile image57
    jtylerposted 6 years ago

It is much better to be a loyal, intelligent follower.  You will be secure and more useful in that position.

14. Alvinatorr profile image55
    Alvinatorrposted 6 years ago

People depend on you when you're the leader and that leads to stress .
    I rather be a loyal, intelligent follower since i have no responsibility .

15. Barry Silver profile image56
    Barry Silverposted 6 years ago

You are asking a "loaded" question. An insecure leader is rarely effective. An ineffective leader is a leader in name only. The choice of being a leader in name only or a loyal follower is simple: Be a good follower as opposed to a poor leader.

16. Cobra nurse profile image58
    Cobra nurseposted 6 years ago

For me...just be yourself...show to them what your parents did to you.

working