jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

If u are nolonger with the father or mother of your child are u less of a family

1. NikiDiva profile image59
    NikiDivaposted 6 years ago

If u are nolonger with the father or mother of your child are u less of a family?

but they are involved in the childs life?

2. sholland10 profile image93
    sholland10posted 6 years ago

I was raised by a single mother who left an alcoholic father after 30 years of marriage.  I was the baby of the family and did not have to endure the nightmarish drama that my older brothers and sisters had to endure.  Mother had 5 kids with her when she left him in the 60s.  We are a big happy family, and she did the best she could to provide and love us, and until her death, we came home to her.  So, I believe she made us a closer family by leaving him.  It depends on the adults and how they handle the children and situation.  We were never pulled into the drama between our two parents because she never bad mouthed him or made him out to be the bad guy even though he was.  Children cannot choose their parents, so parents need to remember that when they go their separate ways.

3. Akashik profile image60
    Akashikposted 6 years ago

No, not at all.  As I explained to my children, two teenagers and one young adult, regardless of the issues involving their mother and myself we remain a family and act accordingly.  Through our separation and impending divorce we are and always will be a family.

4. odie_driver profile image60
    odie_driverposted 6 years ago

I think that a family makes a family - you don't have to be blood related to be a 'real' family in a lot of cases - and the same goes for people who are blood related.

My parents divorced when I was 11 and I find my mom and I were more of a family then than ever before. So, I suppose the answer to your question is dependent on your own personal definition of "Family". Does it mean 'blood relatives"? - if so, nothing can change that, not even distance. If it means "people close to you", then you will always have family in those you love, no matter their blood relation to you.

If both parents are active in the child's life, then they are both family to that child. Families are much more fluid and expandable now than the traditional families of the past!

5. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

Absolutely NOT!  Family regardless of who is around comes from the unity that the individuals have!  You do not have to have all of the above or whats considered all of the above to have or be a family.  Family is about unity even if it just consists of two!

Vonda G. Nelson

6. phiphi profile image57
    phiphiposted 6 years ago

No but sometimes i feel less of a family because of my brother sad

7. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

No one should be feeling less in a family even without father or mother. We all should understand that though we may not be as blood in relationship, the togetherness of growing up is stronger. I have friends who are being brought up by single mother and single father. They are getting along very well with the siblings. The ties of growing up together is stronger by the days.

8. Felixedet2000 profile image57
    Felixedet2000posted 6 years ago

it doesn't make you to be less of a family......the meaning of family is more than just a father and a mother stuff.

working