jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What does it mean to be masculine? feminine?

1. maxdegler profile image62
    maxdeglerposted 7 years ago

What does it mean to be masculine? feminine?

2. KT Banks profile image60
    KT Banksposted 7 years ago

Good question. And hard to answer without fear of people taking it the wrong way.
    People have always told me how feminine I am. I even been called Prissy - a lot! I don't care. I am who I am. BTW - I am a woman. I've always only been attracted to men, but I do like Pretty men. Like Brad Pitt, Rob Lowe, My husband.
    I'm a writer - but I don't write romance novels, I write Thriller Novels.
    I like TV shows like Criminal Minds and Law and Order... and Wipeout. I don't know why, but that show cracks me up. They say it is geared towards Twenty - something year old males. I have 3 sons - so have learned to appreciate "That's what she said jokes," but I also like bubble baths, shopping and decorating.
    I'm not helping am I? Guess I'll give it more thought.
    But I will say this... I don't think Body Builders can be very masculine. They spend way too much time primping and looking at themselves. So muscles do not make the man. LOL

3. edhan profile image62
    edhanposted 7 years ago

I do believe it is the way you act. Your action will decide whether you are masculine or feminine.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

Masculine is to have characteristics that are classically considered to be male which may include but are not limited to more body hair, larger frame, deeper voice, no breasts and things that go with the production of large amounts of testosterone.

Feminine is to have characteristics that are classically considered to be female which may include but not limited to less body hair, slighter frame, breasts, higher voice, and things that go with the production of estrogen.

And yes, sometimes those characteristics overlap.

5. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 7 years ago

Masculine - A man who take care of himself, showers daily, eats right, takes good care of his hair/nails, he is well kept and in relatively in good shape.

Feminine - A women who takes care of herself, showers daily, does her hair, goes out of her way to be pleasing to the eyes, dresses well, takes care of her hair/nails, dresses womanly (in high heals, dresses, ect) and is in relatively good shape.

I don't dress feminine often (*laughs*) but I take care of my hair and do my make up. I am very prissy when it comes to my hair. The way I dress often reflects how I feel that day and most days, since my weight gain, I feel chubby, so I dress in jeans and loose fitting shirts as I don't feel as "fat". ;p

6. downpourofwords profile image44
    downpourofwordsposted 7 years ago

Masculinity does not mean much to me actually. Inner beauty is more important than the external looks. Feminine is being womanlike - emotional, caring, loving, respectful etc etc.

7. ChristineVianello profile image61
    ChristineVianelloposted 7 years ago

Being masculing is having the ability to take care of yourself as an independent man. Being smart and brave is a few qualities that a masculine person has. Also, I believe you can be a man or a woman to be masculine.
    Being a feminine person is being able to take care of yourself. Having class is one of the most important character of being a feminine person.

8. ravenlt04 profile image65
    ravenlt04posted 7 years ago

Unfortunately, society puts too much emphasis on things like this.  sad  I feel men get more grief for acting "feminine" than women do for acting "masculine".  Feminine/masculine behavior is often linked to sexual orientation, and people have a bad habit of calling a man gay if he acts "feminine" and a woman if she asks "masculine".  I use quotation marks because who is to say what masculine and feminine behavior is.  I know men seem to be frowned upon and considered too feminine when they wave their hands to much, hold their hands with their wrists bent, say things women normally would or in ways women usually would, and take too much interest in fashion or interior design, for instance.  Women that dress in baggy clothes or clothes designed for men and who take interest in sports more than fashion are often considered too masculine.

9. Felixedet2000 profile image57
    Felixedet2000posted 6 years ago

To be masculine is simply to be manly while to be feminine is to be womanly....It is the male and the female concept at it peak of comprehension.

working