jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are the most important "common values" that help sustain a relationship?

1. SpiffyD profile image83
    SpiffyDposted 6 years ago

What are the most important "common values" that help sustain a relationship?

Opposites attract sometimes, but for the long-term some common ground is necessary. How much "common ground" should there be? Which areas are most important to have that in? Sex, money, raising kids? Anything else?

2. ThunderKeys profile image67
    ThunderKeysposted 6 years ago

As a professional counselor, I can tell you that it's critical that couple's share very realistic expectations about what a long  term relationship really is. Popular romantic comedies and sitcoms are not the place to learn about these more realistic expectations. 

As far as contrasting perspectives go, on money, sex, in-laws and parenting (common sources of relationship distress leading to breakup and divorce):

I think maintaining a healthy, long term relationship is more based on learning and jointly implementing tested relationship-maintenance-skills (like communication problem solving; and basic needs meeting) then it on actual value contradictions.

In most cases, It's more about effectively managing and negotiating differences of perspective through communication and compromise then it is about the differences people have coming into the relationship or keeping it strong.

- Duddy.

3. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

Respect and trust are at the forefront for me. With these come loyalty or faithfulness. Not only do I expect my partner to trust and respect me but I do the same. Out of that respect and trust I remain faithful to him and trusts him to do the same.

4. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 6 years ago

I agree with the previous answer. Every relationship should have trust. I also believe every relationship should have very good communication. No secrets. It is very important to talk about things all the time.

rorshak sobchak

5. KateWest profile image76
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

Communication, communication, communication.

6. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Understanding and communicating with one another. To have a real long relationship must requires one party to understand should there is an argument or misunderstanding. One party must give in to keep the cool as if both are in a heated mood then things might likely to go out of hand.

There are always arguments in all relationship but through good communication and understanding, it will go a long way.

It is like my wife and I always into discussion when we shop together before buying stuff. We used to buy things on impulse but now we will choose the item and go elsewhere to discuss whether we really need the stuff. With this sort of relationship, it creates a bonding stronger as the day passes by.

Therefore in conclusion, I should say that understanding and communicating will be the key factor of lasting relationship for us.

7. philirodje profile image59
    philirodjeposted 6 years ago

The most important Common values that help sustain a relationship? wow nice question.
    I would say Respect, Obedient, Endurance, Patient, Understanding, and a forgiving mind, Trust, Loving and a caring Mind.  these values are very important to help  keep a relationship.

8. Felixedet2000 profile image55
    Felixedet2000posted 6 years ago

Trust, Love, Honesty, Care, Dedication and Perseverance.

working