jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is it rude to open or not open presents at a party in front of the guests?

1. Doctor Kristy profile image91
    Doctor Kristyposted 6 years ago

Is it rude to open or not open presents at a party in front of the guests?

2. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

I've always been taught it is polite to open the gifts in front of the guests and thank them at that time.  Also, it is best to send thank you cards within a short time after the party.

3. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

Generally i think if given a present in front of guests their intention is that you open them then and to do otherwise would prob be considered the ruder thing to do. It would only be considered rude to open gifts in front of guests if they'd asked you to open it later for instance or indicated it was a private gift etc.

4. puddingicecream profile image73
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

If it's a large party and there are a lot of presents, then I probably would not open them in front of everybody. However, if someone were to give it to me while we were alone, I would open the gift at the moment.

5. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 6 years ago

Its not possible in big parties to open the gifts in front of the guests but if someone give to me while i am alone, then i open it and thank them.

6. scauthor1969 profile image64
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

We go to a lot of little kids birthday parties. Sometimes they open the gifts at the party and other times they take them home. I have no problem either way with parties for this age group. Present opening can be a chaotic scene.

I think it is normal in most other present giving occasions, adult birthday parties, wedding or baby showers, etc. to open the gifts at the party.

7. 6hotfingers3 profile image58
    6hotfingers3posted 6 years ago

If you are talking about something similar to a birthday party or a celebration of some sort, people expect you to open the gifts. At a baby shower or bridal shower, they expect you to do the same. If there are circumstances which prevent you from opening the gifts, I am sure guests will understand. And don't forget to send a thank you card soon after the party. To some people that is very rude on the part of the guest of honor not to send a thank you card to all who gave a gift. They can handle not seeing the gifts you received.

8. TIMOBILE profile image60
    TIMOBILEposted 6 years ago

Yes. I think it is rude to open preseent(s) at a party not to talk of in front of the guests

9. seriousnuts profile image67
    seriousnutsposted 6 years ago

I don't think it's rude. But it's still best to ask the sender first if it's okay with him/her if you open the gift. And don't forget to show your appreciation! My mother once gave some shirts as presents to her in-laws. Upon opening the presents (and without asking permission if it's okay with my mom), they immediately checked on the brand of the clothes she gave them. My mom was unhappy with how they acted.

working