jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are the greatest threats to marriage?

1. Tumbletree profile image60
    Tumbletreeposted 6 years ago

What are the greatest threats to marriage?

I think the modern length of the human lifespan and poverty or a lack of a social safety net.

2. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 6 years ago

Lack of trust is the greatest threat.Both partners have to believe each other and compromise on controversial issues.

3. Awfranklin profile image61
    Awfranklinposted 6 years ago

NON-COMMUNICATION!!!!!!! Me and my wife have only been married for a year and the very first thing i have learned is that if you leave a lot of little things unsaid, it will turn into a nightmare!  It may not seem like a big deal but the less and less you communicate about little stuff, was the things we fought about the most this first year.  Now every day we set aside one hour to just talk without tv or music or phones, and the past 2 months have been the absolute best! and were pregnant so it gets even better!

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I think the biggest threat to marriage comes from selecting the wrong mate.

Most people do very little if any introspective thinking to determine who they are, what they want, and what they need in a mate. Instead of approaching relationships from a point of "awareness" we tend to enter into relationships by "happenstance" or due to our physical attraction. Quite often people will move in together or get engaged before they know if they agree on major things. Each of us selects our own friends, lovers, and spouse. Therefore it's important to know if you are with someone who is "naturally" a great fit for you as opposed to someone who may be saying/doing what they think you want to "impress" you. Gradually they'll revert back to their natural self. It takes more time to get to know someone than most people are willing to invest. Other people decide to marry someone based upon circumstances or because they believe their mate has the "potential" to become what they "really" want in a spouse. More often than not it leads to frustration on their part and resentment on the part of their mate. "People change when they want to change."

"Trust" can only come after someone has demostrated honesty and integrity. You have to be given something to trust or distrust. Trusting "blindly" is a conman's dream! You have to allow others to "earn" your trust!
    "Communication" is not "an ask and it shall be given proposition". Many folks confuse "communication" with "action". Communication is nothing more than one person expressing an idea or thought and having another person acknowledge they understood what was expressed. The best relationships are between those who "agree" on the major things in life. Opposites may attract in the short run but like attracts like in the long run! You have to know what YOU want before you merge your life with another!

5. sonia05 profile image60
    sonia05posted 6 years ago

Greatest threats to any marriage can be lack of faith in each other,weak bonding,no understanding,resistance to change and compromise according to each other's nature,different goals in life etc. Marriage is an important institution and needs to be worked on with utmost care and sensitivity! Love and communicating this feeling is ,however,the answer for overcoming all threats if both the partners feel the same!

6. clintonb profile image58
    clintonbposted 6 years ago

The fact that is important is trust. If partners dont have trust..there is nothing. There should be loyalty..good communication and love and respect for each other..smile

7. KK Trainor profile image59
    KK Trainorposted 6 years ago

I think one great threat is that of interference from outsiders. If you're one who relies on advice from your family or friends and you take that advice despite your spouse's feeling, then you are doomed. Marriage should be a partnership and no one from the outside should be making decisions for you and your spouse. Family and friends shouldn't know every little thing that happens in your home, and they should have no input into how your marriage works. Trust each other and discuss everything, but keep most of it between the two of you.