How do you deal with an ex spouse that refuses to sign divorce papers?

  1. Daniella Lopez profile image92
    Daniella Lopezposted 6 years ago

    How do you deal with an ex spouse that refuses to sign divorce papers?

  2. Mansi2512 profile image65
    Mansi2512posted 6 years ago

    Threaten them. Wht doesnt he wanna sign the divorce papers? Did he do something wrong? Try to black-mail him whit that. Because if he is wrong..then he has no right to do this. Take help from a friend or family member?

  3. Mcham Law profile image57
    Mcham Lawposted 6 years ago

    Depends on where you are and how you got to the divorce papers.

    I'm in Texas so I can only tell you how things work here and while I'm a lawyer please don't take this as legal advice.

    If you reached some type of settlement agreement that he signed and the papers you are talking about are just the final documents based on the signed agreement then you need to set a hearing on a motion to enter the judgment. The judge will review the settlement agreement and the proposed decree and if they match he or she will sign them regardless of whether your soon to be ex is there or signs.

    If you don't have an agreement that he signed you don't have a lot of leverage. About the best you can do is set the case for a trial. If he shows up you present evidence to the judge about why your version of the decree should be signed and the judge will decide. If he doesn't show up you can take a default judgement against him assuming you did everything else right and get your order signed.

    my best advice is to talk to a lawyer if you don't have one already.

    Hope this helps.