jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How would you handle your child telling you that they're homosexual if you don't

1. stayingalivemoma profile image84
    stayingalivemomaposted 6 years ago

How would you handle your child telling you that they're homosexual if you don't believe in that?

2. danfresnourban profile image64
    danfresnourbanposted 6 years ago

"you don't believe in that?" that is like saying "if you don't believe in gravity"
    As far as the answer to your question, I would hope everyone who answers this question will say that as a parent you love your child unconditionally. If you believe it will be difficult for the child then you can tell them, but you support them no matter what.

3. thejeffriestube profile image73
    thejeffriestubeposted 6 years ago

I think that's a real tough test for the unconditional love you have for your children. I don't think I would let it make me care or love them less, as long as they were really sure they were making the best decision they can. Children are people too, all the way up until they die, and at some point be allowed to make choices on their own. I wouldn't think the decision was based on my parenting skills, i.e. "Where did I go wrong" either.

4. waleadediji profile image60
    waleadedijiposted 6 years ago

What is right is what is been expect by  the parents to give to there childs..if you believe what your child embark on is good,then you allow him/her.but otherwise u can confuse him

5. catspirit profile image60
    catspiritposted 6 years ago

I can't say that I didn't "belive" in being gay, but this did happen to me recently. My sister came out after 41 years. At first the family was shocked, not that she was gay, but that she was in a relationship. It was the first time in her whole life. For us, her sexuality was secondary - but this is not the norm. The problems we faced with her was not with the girlfriend, but the change in my sister from being everybody's helper to someone with a new life. Also, she had problems relating to someone on an intimate level. We are still working through this.I am just glad she is happy and has someone to share her life with.
    My mother has the issue with the "morality" of her daughter. We have told my sister to be patient since my mother was elderly and used to her life being just so.
    This is a tough thing to go through no matter how "open" one thinks they are to homosexuality. Case in point, Who would have thought that Cher would have issues with Chaz first coming out as a lesbian then as a transgender?

6. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 6 years ago

I personally believe that homosexuality is a sin and I don't agree with it.  Now, if any of my children came to me and informed me that they were gay, I would honestly like to think that I would still love them no matter what...even if I didn't agree with the way they live their life.  My child, and hopefully there will be more, is my life and I would do anything for her.  I can't imagine anything, and I mean anything, ever changing that.

7. KaeliElyse profile image52
    KaeliElyseposted 6 years ago

I honestly can't answer this question from the perspective of soembody who doesn't "believe in that" I myself am married to somebody who happens to be female-to-male transgender (yes, like Chaz Bono).  I have sadly come across unsupportive parents in the past and have many friends who have parents that have now written them off. 

Every daughter should have her parents at her wedding and a parent to walk her down the aisle as she weds a healthy, happy, responsible member of society who loves her dearly.. This summer, my father was not at my wedding, nor was my husband's father.  My forever-loving grandfather walked me down the aisle and as my husband and I said our vows and cried tears of joy, so did the rest of our family and friends... 

I would hope that any parent facing this difficult situation would tell their child that no matter what, they will always love and support them, just that they will need some time... That the time they need to manage their OWN feelings has nothing to do with being disappointed by their child or not loving them, but that they simply needed to work out their own emotions and get a better understanding of how they can be 100% supportive.  I would hope they would seek counseling with a non-religious, gender/sexual-studies psychologist and also invite their child to join them in some sessions so they can communicate in a healthy matter and make sure they are each being heard clearly.  A parent's only true duty is to love and support their child(ren), so I hope they would chose to do just that.

8. stayingalivemoma profile image84
    stayingalivemomaposted 6 years ago

A very genuine and heartfelt answer. Thank you!

9. Eric Prado profile image74
    Eric Pradoposted 6 years ago

If my child told me they were gay, even if I didn't believe in that, I would not love them any less. They are my child and I would love them unconditionally.

working