jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What do you think of the term MS ? Rather than Miss or Mrs?

1. freecampingaussie profile image65
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

What do you think of the term MS ? Rather than Miss or Mrs?

I personally hate it . You are either married or not & I hate being called that . Some say they use it as it is not fair that guys are all Mr, Ages ago they were Master until they were married .
    Do you use MS & if so why ??

2. MissJamieD profile image72
    MissJamieDposted 6 years ago

I never truly understood the reasoning behind the Miss and Ms.
        I think "miss" connotates cute, young and sweet. I vote for cute, young, and sweet, I'd rather hear that than the stinging force of the titles Ms or "ma'am", they make me feel old and ugly, like I should be wearing a lime green Polyester jumpsuit! Yuck! wink

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I have always seen Ms as a way to say "It is none of your business if I am married or not" and I have always used it on my correspondence-even when I was a teenager. I wouldn't dream of being offended.

4. cejae profile image60
    cejaeposted 6 years ago

I often use Ms and think it is a good alternative to Miss or Mrs.  I have been married and am now single.  So it is easier to just use Ms all the time.  If I marry again and use Mrs.  I will use it with my name  - not my husband's name.  I am a person individual within myself.  So I would be Mrs Jane Doe, not Mrs John Doe. 

By the way I don't see this as a feminist issue - Ms just identifies me as female whether married or single.

5. I Am Rosa profile image91
    I Am Rosaposted 6 years ago

I prefer "Miss" as it has much happier connotations for me ... When I was in grade school, we had this striking sub-teacher who radiated feminine power.  I was in awe of her ... right up until the moment I accidently called her Mrs.  She turned on me with such a harsh, ugly look and nearly shrieked, "MZZZZ!  It's MZZZZ !  I'm not married anymore and Mrs.  is dead!"

Now that I'm grown up and divorced, the term Ms. still makes think of that teacher.  When I hear the term "Ms." her harpy voice echoes in the back of my mind, "MZZZZ!"  and I shudder.  It's silly, but a part of me is always a little afraid that if I identify myself as Ms. then, I too may somehow become that bitter, angry woman .... silly.  I know protocol is that if you still use your married name after a divorce, then it's Ms. and if you go back to your maiden name it's Miss (or at least I assume that's he way it works) ....  *shrug*  I usually just have folks call me by my first name :-)

6. shampa sadhya profile image83
    shampa sadhyaposted 6 years ago

Our male counterparts use Mr. as married and unmarried both and keeping that in mind I consider Ms. to be the best suitable address for the ladies either married or unmarried.

7. whoisbid profile image77
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

I never use anything like this unless I am speaking another language that I know that makes distinctions in the words themselves.

8. ThePracticalMommy profile image96
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

I only use Ms. to address women if I'm not sure if they are married or single. As for myself, before I was married I preferred Miss and when I got married, I preferred Mrs. Of course, when I taught Spanish, it was Senorita and Senora..I don't think there is an in-between. wink

9. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Quite frankly I don't care one way or the other. They could think themselves as Mister if they want.

10. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

my coworkers call each other 'missy' this or that , , ,they are a varied mix or married one time only, single, divorced, divorced - remarried, and widow in the past , , , I kinda' like it as an option keeping in mind the view of individualism, purpose, etc