jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some benefits of an open relationship?

1. Nspeel profile image77
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

What are some benefits of an open relationship?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I've never been in one and I can't imagine loving someone so much to want to be in a relationship with them while at the same time being (open to sharing them with others). I suspect those who have been together for a very long time and place (compainionship & friendship) above romance, passion, and sex are the ones who may feel that "sex is just sex" and as long as their partner is there for them in other ways it's not that big of deal. Personally for me they are all equally required for me to be happy in a relationship. What makes something "special" or "valuable" is it's "rarity". Having an "exclusive relationship" means no one else has what you have with this person.
    Probably the biggest benefit to "open relationships" is it eliminates the biggest "deal breaker" for most people, (Cheating). Since it's an "open relationship" those who want to see other people don't have to (lie or hide) the fact they're seeing other people. There is no "betrayal". Honesty is the most important trait to have in any kind of relationship!
    You can't trust a dishonest person.

3. JEDIJESSICUH profile image77
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on who you are, to be honest.

I can see how an open relationship would benefit my husband and I when he deploys. He's going to be gone for months at a time and we'll have zero physical contact. The only reason we don't have an open relationship is because we have no use for one. It'll suck being away from one another, but the only benefit to an open relationship I see is being able to have a physical relationship with someone who isn't your significant other.

4. Jennuhlee profile image60
    Jennuhleeposted 6 years ago

There are just about no benefits unless I guess you can handle watching your significant other being with someone else. It's really, in my opinion, just an excuse to cheat, and I think if you guys love each other you shouldn't even want that', I've heard it really just destroys relationships, I know if I were in one I'd never be able to forgive him or myself.

working