jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Would you be able to be in an open relationship with a spouse?

1. Traci21 profile image70
    Traci21posted 3 years ago

Would you be able to be in an open relationship with a spouse?

I have recently met amazing people. They have a open relationship and they also are polyamorous as well. Yes they are  two different things. smile

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Only if I were not "emotionally invested" in the woman I was seeing.
    Generally speaking most men are visual creatures.
    The last thing they want to imagine is the woman they're "in love" with or feels is "special" to them; is giving and receiving pleasure to another man. In fact a lot of guys hate it whenever their women brings up one of their exes in a conversation!
    Anyone  who suggests you have an "open relationship" is probably no longer "in love" with you or they already have someone in mind that (they) want to sleep with.
    If you're not of the same mindset then you're likely to get hurt.

3. Link10103 profile image73
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

Wouldnt have immediately thought they were different lol.

I think its an avenue worth exploring provided neither party needs to be persuaded to try it. I half agree with dashing in regards to if someone brings it up out of the blue, the relationship probably just blindsided a mountain.

I personally find it to be somewhat kinky in all honesty. To rationalize it a bit as well, you have less of a chance of your spouse cheating on you and being devastated about it when you are both engaged with other people. Knowingly.

All depends on the couple

4. Kylyssa profile image97
    Kylyssaposted 3 years ago

I've been in an open and polyamorous relationship for over seven years now. 

For those who don't know, polyamory is about love and relationships but an open relationship can sometimes mean just consensual and transparent sexual relationships or encounters outside the primary relationship.

It doesn't mean our relationship isn't close or intense, it just means it's very roomy with plenty of space in it for more than just the two of us.  My partner is so lovable and being loved is so nice; why wouldn't I want someone I adore to have more of it?  I want all the good things in life for everyone I love.  My devoted partner who has stuck with me through thick and thin feels the same.

1. ThelmaC profile image97
      ThelmaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have to say no.  After 45 years of marriage, I wouldn't even think of it.  However, I am a live and let live kind of person.  So it doesn't bother me at all if others do that sort of thing.  Interesting question!

2. Apology4Wolves profile image60
      Apology4Wolvesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It sounds great on paper and I wouldn't bet against it; but I'm just curious at what the success base rates are...the real stats. Years ago I played around with swinging wives who all had agreements with their spouses to not do it behind their backs.

3. Kylyssa profile image97
      Kylyssaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

We'll reach our 8th anniversary soon. At the moment our additional relationships have all matured into very close and loving but non-romantic friendships as they always seem to do. We're still crazy in love and have more wonderful friends than ever.