Does an open relationship encourage a longer time with a partner?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (84 posts)
  1. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

With no fuss of affairs, security in knowing you love each other, it comes down to sex.  With or without your partner joining with other people.

Just asking, do you think this could first enrich your sex life, and second, possibly lengthen the duration of your relationship?

Clearly it is more common than not, and there must be thoughts surrounding it.  Would you consider such a scenario?

Thanks

smile

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is the sweetest come on I have received in a long time.

Thanks Kimberly, but I am a married man and my wife would be pissed at even the suggestion.

smile

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

but you could ask, just in a fun way don't be slutty, we live so close, I could come by or u could swing by here [no puns meant there lol ]

sigh.. I have but one penis to give, and it has already been handed over to my wife

(She took my testicles without asking me, but that is another story)

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
            prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Greek, did she gave you back your t? LOL

Hi there

Non, she made a lovely neckless out of them...

I feel sorry for her though, having to carry all that jewelry around her neck.. must be bad on her back sad

1. Misha profile image65
                Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How many did you have? yikes

not enough to open up a pawn shop, but they put me through college

wink

2. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe it's as common as you think. People I know that had these so called open relationships didn't last as a couple and had all the same problems.

What happens when your partner falls in love with someone else, or decides they like sex better with the person they're swinging with more than you?

I suppose an open relationship can mean something other than swinging, it can be honest communication about wants and desires without judgement and not involve others. Now that's the kind of open relationship that will last and be rewarding for a long long time.

1. TamCor profile image80
        TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  smile

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.
      And No.  It simply encourages adultery and lack of committment.

4. KFlippin profile image62
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, No . . . and No . . . didn't this issue get resolved in the 60's ???

1. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope.  Try a Google search for "swingers".  Try it with your own town tacked on. Try other towns  See how small a town you can choose before you do not find any.

2. profile image0

what issue?

5. Anath profile image61
      Anathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kim, you know my answer, Yes it works.
      I would hate to be tied down in any other kind of relationship. A man has to understand that I am no one's property if he wants to be with me.

I had my doubts at the start but now after 3 years and a few months I can say YES, it works towards a happy and fulfilling relationship.

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Two people in a loving relationship neither need nor want sex from an outside person or persons.
    However, if there is something wrong within the relationship, sex with an outside person may be welcomed.
    While this third or even fourth person in the relationship can spice things up for the original couple for while, in the long term the relationship is doomed.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

personally? no - not my thing....I think someone would get hurt for sure....i'm sure some make it work somehow...i'm just not wired that way.  I can't offer anymore insight....not aware of anyone in an open relationship.  Am aware of people I know that just don't get involved with others however....so they stay single and do whatever they want....but no love is involved.

4. brianzen profile image59
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

Tried it with the wrong girl, That ended badly in divorce. (would do it again if partner was mature enough emotionally.)

5. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I've known a few people who are in open relationships. The longest that I'm aware of is 11 years. However, that seems rather brief in comparison to a person's life.

I don't have an opinion about it, except that I think as was pointed out that it takes very mature, secure, unjealous people to make it work. And the chances are extremely high that all of that will be tested when another person comes into the picture who becomes a "soul-mate" to one of the partners.

I want to believe there are partners for life. I used to. But my experience is different. I think part of being secure with one's self is to know when you need to also let go of a relationship and move on, and do it with a bit of grace and maturity.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I LOVE what lady_love wrote. The only openness that counts in a relationship is honest communication.

I don't believe it's a sign of emotional maturity to want to bring others into the relationship. It just messes the dynamic up. Inevitably, one partner will either gravitate to the third party or will have a problem with the arrangement. Heck, being in a relationship is hard enough with just 1 person!

Having said that, there are cultures in which sexual "opennness" is allowed/encouraged. But it's not an open thing. It's a separation or compartmentalization. Home/wife/family are in this camp and mistress is in another camp. If it works for them, great. (Gotta say, tho, the wife should be allowed to have a lover also!)

As someone who has worked hard to INTEGRATE my life (and you know exactly what I mean by that, Kim!) I think I'll stick with Hubby. I'm too old for that other s#%t.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad someone picked up on that little "re-defining" of the real meaning of the phrase, "emotional maturity".    Creating one's own definitions of terms like "emotional maturity" is pretty much, I think, a sign of emotional immaturity.

1. profile image0

sorry but did i insinuate or trigger that lisa?  just want to know.  thanks

7. Sunny Robinson profile image68
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

It is quite common.

You can have an open relationship and be loving with all partners involved.  If you dug around a little bit, especially as many are underground for social reasons, you will see a lot of people who are into open relationships and have lasted for more than two decades.

I do not measure a success or length of relationships or even marriage.  Telling someone that polyamory or swinging failed because it didn't last very long is like telling someone that monogamy failed because it didn't last very long. 

An example, if you will --
    Monogamous Scenario
    Let's say this relationship/marriage lasted a year.
    Woman 1: We broke up (or divorced)!
    Woman 2: What happened?
    Woman 1: It just didn't work out, I guess...
    Woman 2: Yeah, that happens.  I'm sorry, sweetie.  I'm sure you'll find another man to be with.

Non-monogamous Scenario
    Let's say this is similar in length to the previous scenario.
    Woman 1: We broke up (or divorced)!
    Woman 2: All your partners?
    Woman 1: Yes...
    Woman 2: I told you, that would never last.  You should've listened to me.

And it's true, monogamous relationships or marriages can have so much less duration than other types of relationships.  There is no actual measure.  It all depends on how partners handle the issues.

I also enjoyed what Daniel Carter said.

8. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

If sex for physical gratification is all you're interested in, then by all mens have this type of lifestyle.

If a loving relationship between a couple then your only fooling yourself, forget it.

Teri

9. calpol25 profile image60
    calpol25posted 13 years ago

It depends on you and your partner smile
    It has to be mutual and it has to be what you both want, (not one saying it to please other) and upon taking this path then there is no going back remember that.

However im strictly monogamous when im with some one but I dont judge others smile Each to their own smile

10. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Works for me Kim, for about a dozen years already. In fact it is in much better shape than what my previous closed relationship was at that age. But then I probably got a bit more mature since big_smile

And no, I don't think love is about sex. It certainly is not. smile

11. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I guess it works for some. I know there sometimes are legitimate reasons that have been worked out between the couple. I can think of medical issues that have caused sexual relationships outside of marriage. also foreigners wishing to have dual citizenship.
    I personally don't think I could if I were in a committed relationship. It seems at some point either someone is going to get hurt or the relationship is already lacking something.

but someone mentioned something earlier that I think is very true. some cultures are simply more open to these relationships.

12. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I think it's fine.   Perhaps a bit more dangerous (STD's) today than it was thirty years ago, but I see no moral issues if all parties are agreed.

I know swingers who have been together a long, long time.  I know people who tested the waters and it didn't hurt their relationship.  I know people who did get hurt, but I know plenty of married people who got hurt and divorced too.

People should not judge other folks sexual preference or activities.   It is as simple as that.

Somebody told me last week that there is a group of active swingers here at our little retirement community.   He seemed a bit disgusted by the idea, not on a moral basis, but because most of the people here are overweight and of course have to be 55 or older.  He couldn't imagine why they would want to.   Shrug.. why wouldn't they?  Frankly, I would have been surprised if there were NOT such a group - the life style is much more common than most people realize.

When we lived at clothing optional resorts, swinging invitations were very common.  It figures - if you are relaxed about nudity, you may be more relaxed about this.  The funny thing is that it is very frowned on - at most c.o. places you can get thrown out for even asking someone if they are interested.   Yet, it's very common.

The funniest experience we ever had was at a dance.  At most c.o. places people dress for dances - maybe not very much dress, but they wear something.  Once in a while somebody will be totally nude though, and someone in that state approached my wife and me.  We turned him down politely.

A few hours later, completely drunk and now slurring and swaying, he approached us again, obviously too drunk to remember our earlier refusal. 

I thought "Oh, yeah!  Now that you are slobbering drunk, of COURSE we are interested!"  What a dope..  and running a big risk too, because he didn't know us from Adam; we could have had him thrown out permanently.

But anyway..  nothing wrong if everyone involved is cool with it.  To each their own path.

13. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

a longer time with partner. hmmmmm.

Ive known all kinds of people with all kinds of relationships. What works for one will not work for another.

For any relationship to work, you must have honesty, trust, and respect. If you have this,  I dont think open or not will change the longevity. Things live as long as they are alive.

14. Sunny Robinson profile image68
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

It doesn't have to be legitimate, either. smile  I mean, it's not about fixing relationships.  If a couple is having trouble with their own relationship, bringing someone else in is a BAD IDEA.  Many polyamorous folks will tell you this and warn you against it.  You must be stable with one before linking up with another.

You know how many people believe in just ONE soulmate?  Sometimes, that's unhealthy.  The most unhealthy thing you can do is believe that the relationship is lacking something just because it isn't filling EVERY SINGLE VOID in your life.  There are so many other things in life to juggle, not just relationship.  I do not believe your soulmate should be responsible for filling every single hole in the fiber of your being -- that's a lotta responsibility to have, especially as your soulmate will have his/her own life.

For the swingers, if they're just in it for sex and they enjoy each other (I know many swingers who love to have sex with each other and bring others into their marriage bed), they are monogamous to each other EMOTIONALLY.  Their rule is no ties with another partner, with a few casual exceptions like friendship.

For the polyamorous, they believe that love is infinite even if time and resources aren't.  It's a lot like the logic that parents can love more than one of their children.  If that is possible, why is it not possible to be intimate with more than one adults?  Or more appropriately, what about having more than one friend?  Isn't that betraying the loyalty of that friend or don't you have enough room in your heart for more?

It's not the SWINGING or being poly or being monogamous that screws relationships up.  It is the people involved.  We are so much into entitlement that believing we're not at fault because we rock at communication so much that it's the model that's faulty.  It's like an illiterate person saying, "It's all this book's fault that I can't read!"  Well, bad example, but you get my point.  An underlying premise of that example is, the person may say how much WORK it is to get to the point of literacy.  Working through jealousy is work, yes.  Working through butthurtedness and argument (human beings are naturally stubborn) is work, yes. 

But for many involved, it's WORTH it.  Just like it's worth it for that illiterate person to at some point work through it all.  And it's never an end in sight.  It's all about continually improving oneself through challenges, only getting better and better through time.  For many poly and swingers, there are so many questions to sift through and so much self-exploration especially when moral issues are raised.

Oh wow, I wrote a novel.  My apologies!

Ayup.  Screwed up people are screwed up people.

Ler's say that in my family I might have two sisters.   Between all of us, there have been something like ten marriages.  What a horrible batting average: more than 33% divorced!

Yet I have been married only once.  Forty four years ago this past July and planning on sticking with it.  So it's not me, it's them :-)

Now sure, maybe they had some bad luck.  But when your luck is bad that many times, I think it is probably you.  That's what usually screws up relationships: not swinging, not playing golf, not money, not religion, not anything but the people themselves.

15. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

"It's not the SWINGING or being poly or being monogamous that screws relationships up.  It is the people involved"

well said sunny.

16. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I got married because it was too complicated remembering all the names of the women I was trying to sleep with.

If we had Blackberries and the accompanying software back then, it might have been different

1. Kyriana profile image71
      Kyrianaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greek,

Should have used name tags or only hooked up with women named Susan.
      There is always the old standby of calling them all by the same pet name like Honey or Baby.  Ah well, somehow I think you are happy as to how it worked out for you.

Looking forward to your hub about how Blackberries make it easier to be a playa lol

You see, I liked to personalize my casual encounters (not enough to memorize my partners names, of course)

Plus, 'honey' was way too affectionate and implies that I have feelings.. I stuck with "Hey you".

Blackberries are a vital seduction tool..... especially the ones that vibrate

2. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile ROFL

17. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Having multiple partners puts sex ahead of the partnership.  I agree with lady love that open relationships are not common.  Cheating might be.

I don't think that sex should be the most important part of the relationship.  That is just me.  I guess if sex is the most important thing for both partners then it would work.

For me it wouldn't work.

Dancing with other people puts dancing ahead of the relationship.  Going bowling with other people puts bowling ahead of the relationship.  Playing poker with other people.. talking to other people.. eating with other people..

Do you see how silly that sounds?

That's how  you sound to me when you say that.

Actually, for many it is likely the LEAST important part of their relationship.

1. luvpassion profile image62
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you equate these with sex, dancing, bowling playing poker? roll

I could make a joke about 'pokering' her, or a foursome I once had that was like making love to a bowling ball...

your choice smile

Perhaps it is the least important part of the relationship after they've been together for a long time, but most woman don't consider it less important at the onset...at least I didn't. wink

are you hitting on me?

No sweetie.

(((hugs)))

damn!  I always get that one wrong! lol

2. Pcunix profile image92

Yes, I do.

Keep in mind that I am 62 years old.  In my twenties I would have thought that was ridiculous. The old libido doesn't tug at me like it did then, and honestly, I am glad that it doesn't. My sister, seven years older, says the same thing: glad to be free from THAT demon. Most people in their sixties will say the same thing:  the fire isn't out, but there is a lot more room for other things.

I understand, it's important to remember that sex is something young women must take very serious. The danger, the emotional impact.

It's an emotional experience that rivals all others.

When a woman chooses to have sex with a man it's a profound decision that changes her life. It is important that she has someone to talk too someone she can open up too.

I had my mother, others aren't so lucky. I suppose as one ages its less important, but to a young woman. or young man it shouldn't be trivialized.

smile

Well, that's simply not true for ALL women or men.

People are wired in different ways.   If that were not true, a lot of single men would be in a lot more hurry to get married smile

What does that mean? That makes no sense at all If it were not true a lot of single men would be in a lot more hurry to get married. roll

You're assuming single men only get married to have sex? Absurd.

They would if they had no other options smile

2. Ben Evans profile image64
        Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What you say sounds silly. 

What are you talking about?  Dancing is a very ludicrous example.

That is just one big rationalization and bait to get me into your straw man argument.

Where do you get all this tangentialism?  Cant you make a direct comment or argument?

Of course it puts ahead of the relation.

I will tell you why.  That is because the only reason a person would have an open relationship would be for sex. 

Does it sound silly still?  Probably still does but I don't care.

Yes.

The only reason you would dance with someone other than your wife is for dancing?

Just as silly.

I am not trying to bait you.  I don't care about your prejudice.  I thought I might help you to see it, but I guess not.

1. Ben Evans profile image64

Pcunix that is attack number 2!

Your first attack was a blindside and that was a bait.  Now I am prejudice. 

My position was innocuous to yours.  I did not say anyone was wrong.  I was not judgmental.  I did not call anyone amoral or any other names.  I stated why I would not have a polygamous life style.  I said and I quote,

"I don't think that sex should be the most important part of the relationship.  That is just me.  I guess if sex is the most important thing for both partners then it would work."

Where is the prejudice?  You are making this assumption based on how you think I am........That my friend is prejudice and yes I don't care about your prejudice.

I stated the obvious which was a secondary relationship is about sex.  Call it what you want.  Maybe it is living sexually vicariously through this secondary or tertiary relationship.  Maybe I don't know how it is to have other relationships to play darts together.   

You are going through life playing a victim and making people bad ugly and wrong.  That is your problem not mine.  I do not care how you conduct your life I would not and did not judge you.  You seem to want to judge me because you have got a picture drawn of me in you head. 

You can go around calling people names.  You can also go around and create arguments that weren't there.  I made a simple statement why I didn't have these relationships.   What I stated was obvious.

You just added the twist.

I am NOT calling you names.

Look up what "prejudice" means.  I'm not attacking you.  I was simply trying to get you to see more than what your prejudices have caused you to think.

It's going to be a sad day at HubPages when you can't use words AS THEY WERE MEANT TO BE USED because someone doesn't know what they mean and thinks they have been insulted or attacked.

Ben, I will NEVER reply to another thing you say.   Now go report me for using the word "prejudice" and we'll see how far you get.  Sheesh!

Here is the thing.

The part that makes me angry is the way you are using words and it most certainly is being used in derogatory context.

Now I said I don't want to participate in multi-partner sex.

You make this into a sensitivity issue.  I become a prejudice person in your mind because I say that secondary relationships are about sex.

Your words are very negative and they contain your prejudice and intolerance.

Yes you did attack me.  While you try to veil words in a very passive aggressive manner, you are calling people names.

Until you leave your prejudices at the door, I wouldn't be going around calling other people prejudice.

You know you tried to pull me into an argument that I didn't have.

2. Ben Evans profile image64

BTW

Thank you for calling me stupid also. 

I do know what prejudice means.  Do you?

2. Sunny Robinson profile image68
          Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow! You know, people have their own opinions and all, but let me just interject here....

Ben Evans, first you say that Pcunix is making one big rationalization.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then, you go and make your own huge rationalization -- the ONLY reason for open relationship is sex.  WOWSA. 

Let me look at sex here a minute.  Yep, the ONLY reason to have sex is to orgasm.  Does that make sex completely useless when I don't orgasm but I'm actually enjoying every minute of the experience? Well, shoot, that's gonna get me in trouble.  Oh no, sex is as varied as the word 'open relationship'.  Look at it closely.  'Relationship'.

Now, people may not opt for emotional relationships and WILL go straight for the sex, no strings attached.  After a while, they get tired of that inevitably and start seeking something that has emotional gratification.  Believe it or not, people are looking for intimacy and couldn't care less if they don't have sex with their current partner for a long while until everyone involved are settled and feeling ready to get physical.

Sorry but I cant understand what you are saying.

I don't even see how orgasm and sex has anything to do with the argument.

You did however hit the nail on the head.  An that is having multiple intimacies.  I stated this before.  Do it if you want.

By the way here is the wikipedia definition of an open relationship:

While "open relationship" is sometimes used as a synonym for "polyamory" or "polyamorous relationship", these terms are generally differentiated. The "open" in "open relationship" usually refers to the sexual aspect of a non-closed relationship..........

Tell me where I rationalized.  That is pretty specific.  Maybe next time we can use your definition.

You asked me to tell you if you are wrong.  You can determine it yourself.

1. wychic profile image84
              wychicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me see if I can try to clarify here a little bit...I'll no doubt regret having jumped in, but here goes wink.

I think a lot of people get hung up on the word "relationship" and see everyone involved as being in a relationship with everyone else involved. Of the swingers I know, the only REAL relationship is that between the married or indefinitely committed couple, but they don't put sex before everything in the relationship and therefore feel comfortable making it non-exclusive to the relationship. They're not in a relationship with other partners, and sex with those other partners is strictly about sex...while the relationship with their significant other is about all the emotional and personal ties that make up a real relationship.

I'm sure there are people in these situations that this doesn't apply to (and those here in open relationships, please let me know if I'm way off-base from your experiences), but in the swinging relationships I know "polyamorous" does not apply, because the people involved are only in love with their significant others and do not tie sex with love. Sex is an activity done with friends, but still very far from the kind of connection one has with their significant other.

A lot of people here are saying that an open relationship signifies people who make sex the most important thing in their relationship, and I'd have to argue that it's the exact opposite in many cases. Many of us in closed relationships would end the relationship because of infidelity, though most will admit that that's because of the lies and disrespect, and not because of the sex.

We're raised (at least in the US and countries with similar cultures) to equate sex with love, so it's difficult to think of it in any other way...unless someone is unmarried and has no qualms about going out to a bar or singles club "to get laid." There are some who choose to put this cultural bias aside and make their marriage or committed relationship about something completely apart from sex...they probably will still have sex with their significant other, but that doesn't necessarily preclude just "getting laid" either. If neither person in the relationship have a problem with it, then having casual sex with other people is in no way putting sex in front of the relationship you have with your significant other...as Pcunix mentioned, the same way that going bowling with friends is in no way putting bowling ahead of the relationship.

I have been to Asia many times and I have spent extended periods of time in the Philippines.  There are a lot of people especially in the more elite classes that have concubines.  There are also now some wealthy women that have "boy toys".  However, this is predominately a male activity and I know people in these situations.  It is far from open.....Yet everyone knows what is going on.  It also is not a happy situation.  I can tell you that it may be cultural and it maybe accepted but it certainly is not something that brings smiles to  either parties face.

This is the majority of the world.  Even in some countries in Europe where it may be more acceptable, it is not an activity that is practiced by the majority of people.  Open relationships is not a cultural thing. 

This is the key.  Whether two people are tolerant of outside relationships or not, it is about sex.  It can also be widened to define intimacies.  I know many people who have multiple relationships and do go out and cheat.  Many people do this. It is common practice and it has gotten to the point where it is so blatant that the relationship is almost open anyway. 

I know many people who have been in open relationships.  All of these relationships failed and there was extreme anger and they were very bitter.  Most of these people entered these relationships when they were young and idealistic.  I don't think it is therapeutic to a relationship.  It definitely is not good for a family.  I think many more mature people can do this and succeed.  This just is not my cup of tea.

With all this said, there are people who will practice in open relationships.  There will be people who succeed in it. 

An open relationship is about sex (or intimacy if we want be pc).  Calling it something else is just masking what it is.  If in a person's moral belief system it is not okay, then they shouldn't practice it.  I wont judge anyone who has multiple relationships but I certainly will not buy into it for myself. 

..........It is sex plain and simple.  We can further broaden the definition to equate sex to love but that is not really the point.

My whole point is that I choose not to practice in multiple relationships.  For those who do, it is fine for them.

For those who say it is great and want to broaden the definition to say that we as people are made to have multiple relationships, they can have it and I am fine with it.

18. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I know that an open relationship would NOT work at all with my own personality, but for the right people I believe that it can, and may very well help the relationship.

I'll use for my example a couple of friends of mine. They've been married a relatively short amount of time -- six years -- but discussed possibilities for an open relationship from the start. They joined a swinging group together, where most of the couples were quite a bit older than them and many had been together 20-30 years. They always had to agree with each other on who they were swinging with, and he readily helped her find a girlfriend for them both to enjoy when there just wasn't anyone appealing in their group (I got the invite from them soon after my divorce, but was afraid that might be putting good friendships at risk).

It's been several years now, and this particular couple is beginning to feel that the open relationship isn't everything it's cracked up to be. However, they both say they would not go back and do things differently...the other partners they've both had have made them reflect more on their feelings for each other, and their curiosity for the "other side of the fence" is well-sated. No one they've ever been with could compare with one another in their eyes. Now they're hitting the point that many 20-something couples start having some major issues, the point that people wonder if they settled down too soon or if they're missing out on something...and the only other couples I've seen that are so happy together were in the nursing home. Without having had the open relationship, this probably wouldn't have been possible, especially knowing the naturally curious nature of the people involved.

In short, I think it takes very particular personality types to make an open relationship work, but that doesn't mean that it just can't work. Every person is unique, and a well-matched couple will know what they can do or need to do within a lasting relationship. People who are not well-matched won't make it, regardless of whether it's an open or closed relationship.

I also agree that sex shouldn't be the most important thing in a relationship...and for some people that means that it shouldn't be important enough to go outside the marriage for, and in others it's not so important as to preclude open relationships.

19. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

An open relationship encourages longer time with multiple partners! lol

Yes...a good friend of mine was led into this life style only to eventually find that one of the people she thought she was open with had changed his mind and decided he didn't like it.

He shot her three times in front of her apartment.

Think of this as you consider the benifits of these relationships.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

MY GOD!

How many monogamous shootings, knifings, beatings occur every day?

People are people.  Far too many track toward disgusting.

Yes so lets forget intimate relationships all together and just go all out. roll

I'm talking about this particular incident and what brought it about...okay.

name one instance in a monogamous relationship where a loving spouse killed the other out of jeolousy, why was he or she jeolous? Was it because the other was sleeping with someone else? usually the case.

Whatever floats your boat.  Some people do exactly that.  I am not recommending it, just telling you what I have seen over many decades.

I like my lifestyle.  But I don't judge others.

Oh for sobbing out loud, do you tell your grand kids this crapola? roll

I don't have any grandchildren.  If I did, would it be better to lie to them?

It would be better if you didn't advise them at all if you're telling them sex isn't as important as poker. roll

It isn't to everyone.

People kill and maim for more reasios than jealousy.

3. Sunny Robinson profile image68

Luvpassion --

My mother was killed at the age of 2.  She never had sex with anyone else but the man who helped her make me and killed her.  They were monogamous.  He is the reason I'm deaf.  He told her if he couldn't have her, NOBODY could.  That is the screaming of a madman, I tell you, one that nobody will ever forget once they've heard it or have had the story told to them.  It echoes.

Are you telling me that jealousy JUSTIFIES the murder? Are you telling me that jealousy justifies the fact that some people aren't equipped to handle life at all and will murder because of their own inner instability?  I hope not.

1. profile image0
              klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunny, your mother was killed at what age? Sorry to hear about her murder. It must be horrible to go through something like that.

1. Sunny Robinson profile image68

Ahh, I lost her when I was 2.  She was 20.  My apologies.  I regretted typing that out as soon as I hit submit.  I don't like people using shock and tragedy to make a point, like a previous commenter was doing.  It never really makes a point.

But whether monogamy or polyamory, jealousy, envy, cheating, etc -- never ever justifies a murder.  It really sucks when people play that card.

PS. I just went back to that post in hopes I can delete that.  It kind of sucks you can only edit the most recent comments that has been posted within 5 minute frame.

I never said jelousy justifies murder...Please don't put words in my mouth. I said it is often the cause. I'm sorry about your mother, I know how it feels to lose a loved one.. I wasn't playing a card just illistrating a point of how Jelousy affects people. Your father said if he couldn't have your mother no one else could, this is an example also.

hmm

Best wishes

2. srwnson profile image60
                  srwnsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious SR, do you believe an open relationship is better than a monogomose one because of the tragedy with your mother? I could understand if a person was put off by relationships in general because of fsuch a tragedy, but I don't understand how it could steer a person in the direction of swinging or open relationships. The truth is, I've been married three times, Being on the road is hard on famlies. I don't blame my profession for it. I simply hope that I will find one that works.

1. Sunny Robinson profile image68

Nah. big_smile  Sure it is an example, Luv, of monogamy gone bad.  Just one of many!  Just like polygamy or polyamory can, you know? Intimacy has sooo many forms.

Oh no, srwnson, there are so many great relationships out there of all kinds that involves thoughtful people.  I am in a happily monogamous one with my soon to be husband.

I was a swinger for a little while, it just wasn't my style because I couldn't pick another partner.  I just wasn't sexually active or up to being emotionally intimate, even with my primary partner at the time.  I am much more comfortable one on one because that's how I do communication best.

20. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

WE all have a choice, but my choice is to be with the man I love, no open relationship, we can reinvent our sex life if ever.

21. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Sure, 'open relationships' may allow people to stay in a relationship longer because it eliminates one of the factors causing split ups, ie infidelity or the unfulfilled desire to stray.  But that raises the question about the nature of the relationship in question...

There is a reason people enter into monogamous relationships and why they often break up when one of the partner cheats.  In my own opinion, a monogamous relationship has far more value than one that is not.  The intimate physical and emotional ties of monogamy and exclusivity can't be duplicated if sexual favors are passed out like snow cones at a carnival.

Speaking also as a pervert, I believe there are depths of sexual ecstasy that can only be reached when a powerful exclusive bond has been established (or when my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs win a hockey game.

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It does not have to be one OR another, you can have both snow cones AND exclusivity - just not at the same time smile

ah yes, my 20s and 30s

22. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

This is all very interesting.  My first marriage was "open" if you want to call it that.  He was an older man who liked younger men (and girls too from time to time) and had no objections to sharing them with me. I wasn't into it then and I'm not into it now, but we had an understanding before we were married.

I would have no problem in a relationship where my partner wanted relations outside of our relationship, just as long as I knew about it before hand.  It's the cheating and sneaking around that makes me sick. 

I don't think having an open relationship encourages anything... it is what it is and just like any other relationship, when it's over, it's over... life is short and the ocean is full of fish.

23. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Very interesting discussion here. I myself am very, very open minded. I've had many very,,,uh,,, not normal relationships, LOL!

But an open relationship could also be the same as dating, right? I mean when your dating your looking around, being with different people.

I guess it would be different if your actually living with the person. Then it's more like a relationship, yet seeing others.

However as open minded as I am, I do think open relationships seldom last, and seldom last very long. Someone always gets hurt, feels like they are being left out and so on.

In fact I think open relationships cause lots of very confused, hurt feelings in the end MOST of the time.

However in some cultures it's the norm. Men in Saudi Arabia commonly have several wives, that's an open relationship. But I doubt the women really like it.

If it works for you, great. But I think for the majority it just ends up hurting all involved.

24. profile image52
    amber24posted 13 years ago

Hello I'm Amber i have a question for anyone opins i'm married woman and i meet this guy only on the internet and we are dateing as boyfriend girlfriend and he is married to but my question is
    1.)when i call him up he does not answer his phones or text me back and i was woundering why does he do this to me if he is so in love with me? we use to sleep on the phone togther but not no more he is allways telling me he is busy doing some think and when he calls me he is bicthing about how his roommates did not do this and that and when i talk to him he is like blowing me off like i am not there sometimes he leaves the phone siteing around his home and comes back and say sorry did not mean to do this to you and does everthink back over again does anyone know why though? we use to talk over 18 hours aday on the phone someone times we stay on the phone over 48 hours not no more i think it's wired and he is up to some think do you or anyone else thinks the same think or no?

2.)i meet him on a chat site and he use to talk to me there and we use to put our cam's up in eacther our box's but he does not even do that any more can someone tell me why?ever time i'm in a chat room and some our man hits on me or flirts with me he gets all jealous over it and takes it out on me he keeps telling me i'm not out for the sex like most man are and he say i you can trust me i'll not do anythink to hurt you and him and his wife has a open married but with mine and my husband we do not though i real love this our man more then i do my own husband and we star dateing on Dec 3 but we meet on Dec1 of last year and i am so lost what to do and he will not let me get on any dateing sites with out him getting all jealous and when i get on them i am ONLY LOOKING FOR FRIENDS and he tells me bullshit you are looking for outher man and he has my pass to ever think i got and i got his to and we both live in different states alot of my friends keep telling me get read of him and get me another man in my life and do not put up with him i'm 24 and he is 47

PLEASE ANY HELP THANK YOU

TAKE CARE HOPE TO HERE BACK FROM SOMEONE SOON

THANK YOU!
    AMBER!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)