Does an open relationship add spice to a marriage?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
    csmiravite-blogsposted 8 years ago

Does an open relationship add spice to a marriage?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12716605_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12716629_f260.jpg

It's been said: "Variety is the spice of life".
    However most people get married because they've found "the one" and have no desire to {share} her or him with anyone else.
    Both cheating and "open relationships" are often last ditch efforts for people to {stay} in or tolerate marriages are unhappy with.
    However they don't believe whatever it is that causes them unhappiness rises to the level of running down to the courthouse to file for a divorce.
    I suspect it would be rare for (both people) in a marriage to be "gung ho" about the prospects of having an "open marriage". Most likely one is going along to appease the other. Some couples establish "rules".
    No having sex with their spouse's friends, family members, co-workers, or anyone they know, no conceiving children with others, no bringing others into their bedroom, and various other rules.
    However just as they once promised to "forsake all others" there's always the chance one of them will want to change "the rules" again. Another possibility is one of the people may fall "in love" with someone they're seeing and decide they want a divorce. For them it was the equivalent of having a job while searching for a new job.
    I believe the best "open marriages" are probably between a couple who is essentially "emotionally divorced" and have chosen to stay together for financial or other reasons. In other instances one of them may have a health issue which prevents them from having sex and they opt to agree to have their mate continue to have sex with others.
    However if you are still "in love" with someone just the thought of them doing things to other women/men is likely to upset you.
    Being "in love" and "married" comes with degrees of possessiveness.

1. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hey dashing...Are your neighbors aware you are snapping photos through their bedroom window??   Looks like a happy, carefree group!  LOL

dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually that's me on the right end!
      A group selfie.
      Too funny!

3. fpherj48 profile image61

(Thank you so much for using discretion and not mentioning on a public forum that that's me next to you)  My peeps aren't ready for that disclosure right now.  Especially since I only left the convent 6 weeks ago.  Ya know?

3. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12239541_f260.jpg

For some people, yes.  There are people who aren't monogamous by nature.  They contend that just because they are married, such a marriage shouldn't preclude them from seeing other people.   They further argue that it is far better to have an open relationship than to covertly go behind their partners' back and cheat.  They maintain that most people cheat in their marriages anyway but maintain a hypocritical stance of faithfulness for social approval.  They assert that such people are hypocrites, explaining that at least, they are honest enough to have an open relationship.

There are others who are adamantly against having an open relationship.  To them, such relationships are an affront to the true definition of marriage which is fidelity to the one until death does one part.  They contend that THE VERY WORST thing couples can do is to go outside the bonds of marriage and have an affair.  To such people, this is equivalent to the greatest moral transgression.  They see it as totally unforgivable, even damnable.

Then there are those who believe in situational open relationships.  They may feel that their partner is not up to it anymore so rather than divorce their partner, they indulge in open relationships.  They rationalize that the person w/whom they are having the affair with means nothing, it is just a dalliance in their eyes and the main love is their partner.  Also, some people may indulge in an open relationship because their partner is disabled and unable to have sex. That open relationship is a way to relieve the sexual frustration.

4. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

"spice?"   "open relationship?"   "MARRIAGE.??"

I know this concept/practice exists everywhere for any number of couples.  I am not naive nor unaware.  However...............

This is not something that would or could even enter my thought process. Frankly, it sickens me, causes sadness and disgust.....not to mention that I don't believe anyone would be able to "justify" this choice, appropriately enough for me to understand or accept. 
    I'm willing to admit, it's probably ME.....I simply do NOT get it.  Besides, I don't feel a need to get it.  This form of activity in a marriage is to me totally contrary to everything committed relationships are intended to be.  OXYMORONISH??   Sounds very much like dropping a nuclear bomb onto a marriage.  Again...what do I know?

Call me an old-fashioned, Puritanical prude.....that's fine.  Say what you will.  I'm seriously holding back what I really want to say.  (It's not pretty)

I suppose, if people are INCLINED to bring this into their marriage, it's their choice and who's to stop them?  For spice?  To "SAVE" an otherwise dull, unhappy marriage?"   Wow....that one stumps the hell out of me.  I have a healthy imagination...but hard as I try, I cannot imagine this doing one single positive thing for a "marriage."......

I wonder why 2 people can't just be painfully honest and admit what this truly says about  them?   Must I say it?  Nah.....I won't bother.

1. PurvisBobbi44 profile image91
      PurvisBobbi44posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Paula and add that open-marriages might be a fad; which in the end only produces heartache and distrust between two people; whether they admit it or not. I would kick any man to the curb who wanted an open-marriage. It's called Adultery.

Adultery is having sex with someone other than one's spouse. Infidelity or cheating on the other hand is (secretly) having sex with others. Those seeking an "open marriage" I suspect want to cut out the {lying part} which constitutes cheating.

3. fpherj48 profile image61

Ah...dashing my ever-rational, learned friend.  Wonderful "descriptions" (or WORDS) & we need to thank you 4 UR input. U & I both know ALL can be calmly explained & THEN rejected! LOL Hey..U should run for office!!  Have a good day!

4. dashingscorpio profile image79

Paula, You're a riot! LOL!
      Enjoy the rest of your weekend too!smile

5. profile image53
    peter565posted 8 years ago

It depends on problem, what work for one couple, won't work for another.

1. fpherj48 profile image61

Hmmm...uH-Huh....Then again, maybe it just won't work.  Period.

6. Inspired to write profile image78
    Inspired to writeposted 8 years ago

Well, not really, &/or maybe, yes?

A marriage is a vow, a pact between two people who both agree to be faithful to only each other.

Then again, maybe one partner is incapable of giving physical (sexual) love (for what ever reason) and both partners do not wish to break apart (because of their love/connection for each other) (or for some other reason) so that the 'joint decision' to 'play around' with another is vital for the remaining (sexualized) partner to get her or his orgasms.

Additionally, to be desired sexually.

Then, this should be fine so long as both partners of the marriage, agree, first-hand

Where the 'spice' is concerned, unfortunately the fire dwindles, compared to what you both once had for each other, and the urge for sexual release is a normal human response that needs to be fulfilled, as is the need to be desired by others.

One route to try is to introduce the non-sexualized partner to real education/information about what their partner wants and needs, (if they are capable of sexual acts)

As this is a lesson in life that one must seek out because it is not normally taught in mainstream education

7. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

If it's your cup of tea AND your spouses, then it could.

Personally, it wouldn't add spice to my relationship as we wouldn't be into it, and it takes both people in the relationship to be accepting of it, or it's basically cheating.

I do know people in poly-relationships - where there is more than one partner - but it is shared by the other partners - for example there is one I know of (a well known author has one) - there is two females, and two males in the relationship. Intially it was just her and her husband, then the other couple came along (they were a couple prior to the meeting) - they now all live together, and it all goes swimmingly.

Does it add spice to their relationships? I don't know, she's never said.

I also know people who's open relationships didn't work - jealousy crept in because one was having more relationships than the other - so they cut it off, and are happily together monogamously now.

It wouldn't work for me, but as long as no-one is being hurt or coerced, and all are of consenting age - who am I to judge?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)