Why is it that people associate The number of years you've been married to succe

1. Healingforthesoul profile image57
    Healingforthesoulposted 6 years ago

Why is it that people associate The number of years you've been married to success?

Just because you have been married for a long time doesn't automatically equal happiness. People stay in marriages for different reasons and those reasons aren't always because they love one another. Some people stay in relationships/marriages way longer than they should. I really think we should reevaluate how we determine how successful someones marriages is based on years.

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

You make a valid point. Couples who lived together for 8 years and then got married and divorced 2 years later are remembered for having a marriage that lasted only two years instead of being in a monogamus relationship or 10 years.

Personally I have known couples who have been married for over 25 years (on paper) but live in different quarters of the house or not even in the same house. They attend family functions and each other companies' holiday parties....etc And then there are other marriages which are "sexless" where couples are little more than roommates with the same last name, companions, and friends. Surly no one would suggest a young couple in love ask any of these people for the "secret" to marriage longevity.
    Several years ago I heard a woman on the radio ask her grandmother who was coming up on her 50th wedding anniversary, "What is your secret?". The elderly woman paused for a moment and then she said, "Baby, we just stayed together." We as a society do seem to believe that couples who stay together  must do so because they are "happy". However like you stated there are numerous reasons why people don't bother getting divorced.
    Some people don't have any "deal breakers". They will stay together through cheating, lying, verbal/physical abuse, alcohol/drug addition, and constant financial turmoil. If staying together through all this means "success" I'd rather be known as a failure! lol!

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

the fact that people can survive 10,15,20,25,50 years of being together and still being alive to enjoy each other is quire an achievement in today's quick this and quick that.