Is there a "double standard" when it comes to (stay at home) dads?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image69
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

Is there a "double standard" when it comes to (stay at home) dads?

It's often said that being a (stay at home mom) is one of the hardest jobs in the world. However when the roles are reversed and the wife is the "breadwinner" a large portion of society views the man as being lazy. Ladies could you be happy having a stay at home husband taking care of the kids, housework, and cooking while you worked and paid bills?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5872115_f260.jpg

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 12 years ago

Its the hardest job for those, who are made for the job ... women ... imagine how hard it would be for those who are not made for the role ... men !

Anyway ...

Every society has its own double standards ... for everything.
    Its therefore, important for both mom and dad, to ignore how the society views them ... and raise the kids as best as they can.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Absolutely.  My husband stayed home with our first child for a short time.  He could not find a job, I had bookkeeping skills and was able to find work.  He did a fantastic job.  Later I was able to stay home and loved it--but I am grateful for that time.

I do think there are double standards.  Men should not be looked down on for staying at home. It is a very hard job making life work for the person who is out making the money and there is little glory in it--but raising kids well is the most important job on earth.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

There is only a double standard if you believe there is.  In fact, I haven't heard that term in a very long time.  With the exception of two men (one I married and one I dated), I always made more money.  Yes, I would be happy with a man who was good with household chores.  I'm no housewife, and I'd much rather be working.  I would appreciate someone taking over in that department when it comes to the house and kids.  I won't "carry" a man who won't work or help around the house.  It doesn't mean he has to do housework.  Let's just say he can work on chores and all that or pay to have it done.  I'm not a woman who will do it all and make excuses for a lazy man.  If a man does not contribute to the household in any other way other than a regular pay check, I'd dump him.  I've seen too many women do all the work, and I'm not going to waste my time, waiting for any man to get off his dead ass and help me run the household.  In any household, don't ever cater to a man on a throne and make him King.  You will regret it.  In fact, you are setting a poor example for your daughters.  Teach all your kids to cook and clean.  Don't teach them to wait on anybody.  It would not hurt to for them to see Dad do "Mommy's Work," either.  There are choices in life we can take other than roles the generations have already planned for us.

5. jeyaramd profile image64
    jeyaramdposted 12 years ago

Society generally has assigned preconceptions of how a man should and a woman should provide to a heterosexual relationship. We have become so accustomed that a complete reversal of roles can often be misjudged. The man may be seen as being lazy, incompetent or as less of a man. There is a societal stigma attached to men who provide entirely at home.

However, if they work and also help at home; that is a different story. Also, the woman may be seen as being overly dominant and too masculine. People usually judge based on their own understandings of gender based roles.

Also, it depends on the income of the family. If the female is a high earner and the male is at the low end of the income receiver. It may be seen with a bit more understanding than if the family was struggling.

Its also interesting to point out that males who are in homosexual relationship may do this easily. We have certain male and female stereotypes within the very fabric of those relationships as well. However, myself, I don't see why it should not work for a couple especially if both are really good at what they do. As long as couple don't feel forced to take on these roles then its fine. Also, this sort of situation may be seen with some respect if it was a temporary solution; perhaps until the couple reorganize their financial commitments. For instance, if the husband is unemployed at the moment with a toddler. Then people may sympathize with his situation. Also, it may be okay if the husband works from home or is temporarily preparing studying towards an exam, degree or some certification. However, if the male is at home cooking for school age children; then may not be in the receiving end of much applause.

6. wonderful1 profile image81
    wonderful1posted 12 years ago

If I could get a job to provide for my family in this economy, I'd be more than happy to come home to a cooked meal, kids tended to, and a hot guy in the sack. I've been there and done that. It's nothing near lazy. In fact, being the "stay at home" anything is like a skilled circus act: you not only have to do your job well, but get an audience that is pleased with your performance. That's never easy when you don't get paid.

7. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 12 years ago

I live in a very traditional, conservative area and would have to say that yes, society as a whole seems to have very much a double standard for stay-at-home dads. I am extremely happy to have my husband stay at home, he is an excellent househusband and generally has a lot higher energy level than I do, allowing him to keep up with the kids along with the housework and other chores. That said...we're both getting awfully sick of people asking when he's going to find a job.

When I originally quit my job to strike out full-time as a freelancer, everyone thought that it was so great that I was going to spend my time raising the kids and "could help with household expenses too." These same people expected it would be catastrophic to us when my husband lost his job, and don't seem to understand why we're not bankrupt a year and a half later.

He is older, with more work experience and far more education, but we found that I make a lot more money with him home to take care of the house than we were able to make with him working out of the house and me working around the kids' schedules. Society thinks he's lazy or unable to find a job, and can't understand why I tolerate him still not having one. At least once a week some well-meaning acquaintance tells us of an opening they heard about, and they're all still puzzled when we don't pursue any of them. These same people even say that they know where I can find a job to tide us over until he finds one, because I couldn't possibly be able to manage without a "real job."

Thankfully, we put very little stock in what society thinks, and don't feel the need to explain ourselves. I sincerely hope that other potential stay-at-home dads and breadwinner moms will equally disregard these outdated and often unfair preconceptions about who should be doing what. Too many assume that stay-at-home dads laze around and still let Mom do all the cooking and cleaning when she comes home, and too many also assume that Mom couldn't possibly be making enough money to support a whole family on her own.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)