jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At what point is it a relationship?

1. dadibobs profile image61
    dadibobsposted 6 years ago

At what point is it a relationship?

At what point do two people 'seeing' each other become a relationship. My teenagers have informed me that 'seeing' each other does not include exclusivity and other partners are ok. I am confused or maybe just getting old!
    What do you guys think?

2. alphagirl profile image80
    alphagirlposted 6 years ago

OMG! They need to focus on getting into college. Do you have girls or boys?
    Keep them active in team sports. My girls have friends that do not do any sports and their entire focus for developing their self esteem is heavily focused on their appearances and catching a boys attention.

I think its great if they have a boy and he is a friend, but being exclusive can lead to a major distraction. Most kids go off to college change at 18 when they get there and then change after graduation. What one thinks they want also evolves by the time they hit their mid 20's.

If a girl has any strong sense of their self esteem it is also partially because they have a great relationship with their dad. Dad's have a huge impact on their girls.
    Most think it is the mom. Take a girl to buy a prom dress and chances are the girl will pick something less revealing if shopping with dad than mom.

I don't know if what i said helps. Stay close to your kids, becuase if there is a ever a broken heart during the teen years it is really painful, its hard to watch as your child gets dumped or just gets too involved before they really understand what it means.

Ask your teen what is the driving force for being exclusive? Sex? Then that is another whole can of worms. Good luck.

3. dadibobs profile image61
    dadibobsposted 6 years ago

To answer your question i have 5! lol, 2 girls 3 boys. I don't have many concerns with the kids, the older 3 are pretty well balanced. One is trying out for semi professional football, whilst painting and decorating, one is a chef, and the other one is a top class hard faced porcupine lol, i'm not worried about her, she learned her lesson. The other two are too young for all for that nonsense. I just don't get the 'seeing' stuff.

thanks for answering smile

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Your kids are smart not to get wrapped up in relationships at such an early age. They should focus on their education, selecting a career path, and learning about themselves.
    A relationship is not exclusive unless the people seeing each other have "agreed" to be exclusive.

5. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 6 years ago

"Seeing eachother" is another term for dating.  It does not mean it's an exclusive and committed relationship.  It may or may not lead to one later on.  It becomes a love 'relationship' when the two people involved have talked and agreed to be boyfriend and girlfriend, until then they're just getting to know eachother.

working