jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the importance of marriage vows?

1. PK2010 profile image79
    PK2010posted 6 years ago

What is the importance of marriage vows?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

In all honesty only the two people exchanging the vows can determine the importance of them. A promise is only as good as the person making it.
    Having said that everyone has their own idea of what commitment means to them. Some think it means staying together forever (no matter what happens). Others meant it "when they said it". However the most realistic approach is accepting the fact that each of us has "deal breakers". They may range from verbal/physical abuse, cheating, drug addiction, gambling...etc The bottom line is "When we change our cirumstances change." Awhile back I wrote a hub on commitment that gives you a more detail account of my thoughts on this subject http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … forgranted

Whenever two people no longer want the same thing for the relationship it's pretty much over. Anyone who does not have "deal breakers" most likely does not love themself. Being a doormat or staying in an unhealthy and unhappy marriage for the sake of keeping one's vows is not loving or respecting themself. You are responsible for your own happiness. Staying married for the wrong reasons is just as bad as getting married for the wrong reasons.

3. juiwei2000 profile image62
    juiwei2000posted 6 years ago

Nothing, they are just words and to my knowledge it provide no legal boundage, so it really means...nothing but ritual

4. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

The meaning behind the vows and the commitment to follow through on it. Vows should be purposeful and genuine.

5. hillymillydee profile image59
    hillymillydeeposted 6 years ago
  6. mathira profile image83
    mathiraposted 6 years ago

Marriage vows are sacred in that it binds you in a loving life of togetherness and it has a  positive vibration.