jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

When you say something to someone and they respond by saying, "Whatever!"... wha

1. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

When you say something to someone and they respond by saying, "Whatever!"... what does that mean?

For instance, you ask your teenage daughter to remember to pick up her room when she comes home from school, and she responds with, "Whatever!"

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

They are not amenable to further discussion of the topic.

3. london55 profile image75
    london55posted 6 years ago

You are boring me now.... conversation over, I am controlling this interaction as you are now dismissed.

4. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

It means that person is brain dead and doesn't know how to answer or hold a conversation.

5. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It is a term that means as london55 says, Bored, conversation over, what you are saying has no interest or effect on me.

I would not allow my children to speak to me in that manner.  On the rare occasion they tried it, I told them, "I don't speak to you like that, please show me the same respect."

6. poeticmentor profile image76
    poeticmentorposted 6 years ago

It means stop talking and move on to the next subject because i am not listening and you won't convince me no matter what you say stop wasting yo breath.. LOL..I had to comment because my teenager says this all the time and it ticks me off.

7. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

It’s a disrespectful way of saying, “I don’t care.” or "It doesn't matter". In other words it's not a priority or not important to them so move on. It's a dismissive statement.
    If I had ever been that rude to my mother the next word I would have heard would have been "CLEAR!" as the paramedics applied the electric paddles to my heart.

8. profile image0
    SarahBodoposted 6 years ago

It simply means, "go on talking, I don't care!"

9. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

Ground her immediately!  Don't tolerate no side ways talk from YOUR underage child!  (and when I say underage I am not stating that according to the law) I am stating that because she has no idea what the real world is like neither would her rude behind survive sanely omn her own if she had to.  You brought her into this world and is providing everything she needs to live and breath comfortably.  It kills me when I see snotty nose kids disrespecting adults that provide for them.  She needs to be disciplined, cause if you don't some of these so called "professional people in authority" also known as the police will and guess what?!?!?  out of know where she will have the needed respect for them......just because......and they're strangers who could care less about her or providing for her.  Who cares what her "whatever" means, make sure she knows what you giving her orders mean.
    LMAO @ Mick....I actually like to say whatever, especially when I have to interact with brain dead people.  But I'm no teenager I'm grown!

10. AnnaCia profile image83
    AnnaCiaposted 6 years ago

I really dislike when somebody responds that way with an attitude of "I don't care", "don't ask anymore".  Bad habit