Why do some Christians use the salutation, "Namaste"?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 8 years ago

Why do some Christians use the salutation, "Namaste"?

As I write on Biblical topics, there are times those leaving insightful comments greet or conclude with, "Namaste"!  While I'm sure it is meant as a positive salutation, in researching the word, it appears it is rooted in the Hindu religion (India). Are Christians using this word and why?  This may be as controversial as the use of the word "karma".  I look forward to your answers.  Thank you.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12403898_f260.jpg

2. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

You're right about the origin of namasté. It is a Sanskrit word that means 'the light in me greets the light in you'. Christians who understand more than only mindless quoting biblical texts might understand exactly what they are saying. It is not controversial to use this Hindu word, because there are religious movements like the SRF and Ananda who recognize Christ as one of their gurus.

Judah's Daughterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the comment.  I wonder, do they consider Christ as one of the many avatars?

2. Buildreps profile image85
      Buildrepsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

3. Akriti Mattu profile image61
      Akriti Mattuposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agree

4. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

they may think He is one of their gurus but that does not make it true
      Jesus Christ is the SON of the only LIVING GOD.  The only one who died to give life to those that follow Him.  And He is the Lord of this age not some false religion guru

3. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

If you've studied Christianity and its origins at all, you know that it has assimilated aspects from every religion that proceeded it. I'm sure some Christians are latching onto namaste because they hear it in their yoga classes, not realizing that both the word and the practice are rooted in other religions.

There is now "Christian yoga", which is yet another assimilation, of Hindu and Buddhist practices.

Thank you for the comment, Lisa. I've heard yoga is a great workout, but the meditation part of it, for Christians, is focusing on God.  Knowing that God abhors our worship of Him in likeness of pagan gods, for me, I will seek a different workout.

2. celafoe profile image53

christianity, church religion accepts it    but True disciples of Christ NEVER WILL

4. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

If the word "namaste'" as beautifully defined as it is here is NOT the embodiment of Christianity, nothing is. If one can't hear Jesus Himself saying these words, there is no hope for Christianity in the world. With all due respect, I can imagine Jesus weeping at this question.

1. Buildreps profile image85
      Buildrepsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There must be a bug in your imagination. Why would Jesus weep at such an important question? I can imagination he would be happy with the question of Judah's Daughter.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image86
      Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jodah's Daughter, please delete my response. I'm in a terrible mood today. Somedays are just like that. And Buildreps, you're right.  There is a bug in my imagination. I love that little bug but not when it makes me offend others.  Sorry -Peace!

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can't imagine Jesus weeping at the question.   I can imagine Him weeping at some of the answers, depending on what they are.

4. Judah's Daughter profile image78

You are all right, SirDent, Billy and Buildreps. IF the "God IN me" is the Spirit of The God (Creator of the Universe, our Savior), then it's a beautiful word.  If not, then Christianity needs to come up with an equivalent to greet each other (IMHO).

5. celafoe profile image53

the only  light that a true disciple of Christ recognizes is Christ.   Any other light is not to be recognized by true followers of Christ of course those without the indwelling Holy Spirit cannot see the kingdom of God so do no understand spiritual

5. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 8 years ago

You have given the meaning of the word in a most beautiful way, and for those who seek God, therein lies the answer.

Karma is now not controversial at all. It used to be. A bit like the word Meditation which is fast catching on in the West. Indeed, there are about six schools in England that have incorporated this, and they say it is helping students and more are considering it.

Some American universities have incorporated the word 'Mindfulness' and they do sit in Silence. It benefits the kids. Karma means Cause and Efect; Action and Reaction. It is infinitely deeper, but this will do for now. Scriptures speak of the Law of Retribution: 'Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he reap.'

We repeat 'Hail, Mary, Mother of God ...' This is Japa in the East and is also a mantra, like the East. Muslims say Inshal'lah, and when I was a child, my Mother always taught me about God's Will, Grace before meal, and the fact that tomorrow may never come.

Indeed the Christ Himself, offered everything to the Father and gave Him all the credit. While we may approach things differently, much, if not all we do in worship, has an equivalent not only in the East but in all Faiths. This has been my experience.

The Spiritual Life is not a life of separation but of Oneness.
    Separation and narrowness, bigotry and rigidity are death; vastness, inclusion, identification and unity are the expansion of Life. Hope this helps. God bless you always. Om Shanti! (The Peace of God be with you)

1. Billie Kelpin profile image86

Manatita44 - lovely

2. Judah's Daughter profile image78

Thank you for sharing. Personally, my problem with the karma concept is Jesus lived a sinless, holy life and was yet crucified. It becomes a works-based concept. What unites all believers is the Spirit of God IN them and the faith to persevere.

3. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Look up Karma, Judah's D, in the same way that you looked up Namaste. You will see that it is more to do with an Inner law for our own good, and not Religion.

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 8 years ago

In all honesty, I have never heard a Christian use that word nor seen it used by a Christian in print form. 

My opinion about it is this;  The use of certain words should be a no no to the believer in Christ.  Profanities and cursing should not be a part of the vocabulary of a believer.   To say a word without even knowing what it means, is ignorant, IMO. 

After seeing what the word means. I still can't see it as OK for believers to use.  It deals with a spirituality that is not of Christ. 

That is how I see it.

I appreciate the comment, SirDent.  Yes, Christians were/are using this salutation.  I have asked Akriti Mattu, another who answered, for clarification of the "God IN us".  The ancient Vedas (origin) worshiped God as Creator, pre-Hinduism.

7. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Wow; Call me crazy but that is a very loving, happy, caring and all around nice thing to say to somebody. I sure would like somebody recognizing the beauty within me and saying so. I also really feel good about sharing my love with somebody. What a nice and gracious greeting this is.
    Now if I get the suggestion of this question right -- it is a bad thing for a Christian because in originates from a time before even Hinduism was well established (Sanskrit predates such matters). If I am not mistaken Hinduism and Buddhism adopted the phrase.
    I especially like the part where it points out that we are all one. For we must certainly all be one as children of the Most High. Just for fun I tried it out on my wife who has no knowledge of such ancient origins and explained it's meaning. She was busy but managed an "oh that is nice". This led me to think that we over think things and place unnecessary burdens on ourselves.
    This is a beautiful word and notion. We should meditate and pray on such things.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well said and agreed. For instance a causal saying once used and maybe still is is "Go in Peace". I think that sentiment may be applicable with Namaste.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image78

Thank you, Eric Dierker. So you're saying Sanskrit (the language of India) used this salutation before Hinduism/Buddhism came into existence?  Will do some more research on its origin.  I responded as your wife did when I first heard (read) it.

8. Akriti Mattu profile image61
    Akriti Mattuposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12405678_f260.jpg

Being a Hindu , i feel i should explain the significance of the word. Also before i explain the significance, i should point that one should not be so conservative so as to not use particular words from other religions. I mean whatever happened to the most important religion of all - HUMANITY ? Are we now headed towards so much intolerance that we don't even have space for a single word which is not ours. Differences need to be respected . That's what makes people elevated and evolved.

In Sanskrit the word is namah + te = namaste which means “I bow to you” - my greetings, salutations or prostration to you. The word ‘namaha’ can also be literally interpreted as "na ma" (not mine). It has a spiritual significance of negating  one's ego in the presence of another being. Namaste could be just a casual or formal greeting, a cultural convention or an act of worship.

However, there is much more to just the physical gesture. The real meeting between people is the meeting of their minds. When we greet one another with namaste, it means, ‘may our minds meet’, indicated by the folded palms placed before the chest. The bowing down of the head is a gracious form of extending friendship in love, respect and humility.This gesture is a mudra, a well-recognized symbolic hand position in eastern religions. One hand represents the higher, spiritual nature, while the other represents the worldly self. By combining the two, the person making the gesture is attempting to rise above his differences with others, and connect himself with the person to whom he bows. The bow is symbolic of love and respect.
    The reason why we do namaste has a deeper spiritual significance. It recognizes the belief that the life force, the divinity, the Self or the God in me is the same in all. Acknowledging this oneness with the meeting of the palms, we honor the god in the person we meet.

Therefore it is COMPLETELY ok to use the word. I mean it isn't a curse word for god's sake.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the explanation. I have become elevated with reading it. My experiences with it having always been receiving it with respect, while I never knew its true meaning until today. Again, thank you! Namaste . . .

2. Akriti Mattu profile image61

That's a very thoughtful reply smile

3. Judah's Daughter profile image78

Seems beautiful, Akriti Mattu.  If the God IN us is the Spirit of the Creator Himself vs. our humanity (the temple, as the Bible puts it), then it agrees with Christianity.  The Self is not a god or God in Christianity. Will you clarify this for me?

4. Akriti Mattu profile image61

Sure.
      By the 'self' i mean the innateness of human beings. The 'self' is the blissful spirit in every being on this planet. The spirit is not to be seen synonymous with the almighty but with the essential goodness and the purity  of the almighty.

5. Judah's Daughter profile image78

Thank you, Akriti Mattu.  Yes, the Spirit of the Almighty (and its fruit shown in Gal 5:22-23) is seen (Mat 7 - You shall know them by their fruit) in us and others and unites us in love, humility and respect.  Beautifully answered.

6. Akriti Mattu profile image61

I'm glad smile

7. Billie Kelpin profile image86

Akriti Mattu, Your explanation is humbling and carries with it all of the essence of Christianity and any other code of ethics and morality and respect for one another with which I was raised in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

8. Akriti Mattu profile image61

..And that is why i started my answer by saying , "Being a Hindu , i feel i should explain the significance of the word... Differences need to be respected . That's what makes people elevated and evolved."

9. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You all "really" frighten me!"Thou shalt have no other god before me" comes to mind & when associated with another religion, ungodly!  Not in Scripture=UnGodly! What else will we "accept?" Gal 1:8 says "...let him be accursed." That's enough for

10. profile image0
      lambservantposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Akriti, It isn't intolerant or disrespectful to disagree and make a different choice for a different religious practice. You've given a thoughtful and knowledgable viewpoint and our discussion is the healthy process to decide for ones self. Blessings

11. Akriti Mattu profile image61

Having an opinion different from others is never a problem. Differences need to be respected. But forming that opinion based on intolerance and supremacy is not correct. Prejudices in favour/against a specific religion or religious practice is wrong.

9. profile image0
    lambservantposted 8 years ago

I'd never heard this word and I've been a Christian many years! Personally I would never use it! On the surface it seems an innocent kind greeting! I researched it and it seems it comes from the thought that we are all divine beings and we are one as such! As one person pointed out by illustration, there is a bowing as one divine to another! I disagree with Lisa that Christianity is an assimilation of other religions! In order to" study" Christianity one must study God's word in depth! Although many religions promote and encourage love and kindness, it originated with God,  whom we find in the Bible! Love was existent before the foundation of the world!

Anyway, it is not uncommon for Christians not mature or well grounded in the word to let new age/hindu/Buddhist thoughts and words creep in, not really knowing what's behind them and pretty soon they've got a hodgepodge of false religion mixed in with Christianity!  Paul warned us about letting this creep in! Its insidious! There are good things mixed into a lie as that's how the enemy works! If it makes you uncomfortable as a believer, then I wouldn't use it, and most definitely check it with Scripture!

Thank you, Lori. Thus we can see why the question is posed.  I hope you read Akriti Mattu's comments. We can agree that Catholic practices assimilate from pagan religions (idol worship), but true Christianity is not assimilated from other religions.

2. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Lori!!!  I was beginning to think that we now "accept" anything that is not in Scripture!  Yes, please "check everything with Scripture!" Gal 1:8 says "...let him be accursed." Isn't that enough for you?

3. celafoe profile image53

where have you been,there are even some in these comments that profess christianity that believe in it . christians these days believe in anything but true disciples of Christ only follow HIM and His ways,never mixing the Holy with the profane

10. celafoe profile image53
    celafoeposted 6 years ago

A true  disciple of Christ would never use such a humanistic greeting because they understand we cannot mix the Holy with the profane..    Those that do not understand the requirements of belonging to Christ might and those that are disciples of the "churches of men" and other purveyors of false doctrines  certainly might.
    Same goes for yoga and all other false doctrines. 
    Scripture clearly shows that adopting things that are not of God will bring you down, not lift them up.

11. Annkf profile image83
    Annkfposted 6 years ago

I believe that those who use the word "namaste," are among those who have mixed new-ageism into Christianity. The "Emergent church," is one such example.

Namaste is tied to Hinduism, a belief system that follows man gods...

It's all part of the end-times deception.

1. Annkf profile image83
      Annkfposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I could not edit my response once I submitted it. I meant to write that,  Hinduism is a belief systems that follows many gods."

2. celafoe profile image53

church members incorrectly called Christians believe in this stuff, true disciple of Christ, those that answer to Him , do not

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is nice to see new interest in this marvelous notion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)