Did you ever lead a double life?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 6 years ago

Did you ever lead a double life?

A secret life hardly anyone new about?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3183015_f260.jpg

2. rlaha profile image68
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

No I never have.  It's hard enough being myself, so I can only imagine... I would be getting my lives crossed somewhere.  Good question!

3. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

I was wondering what that meant, double life, not the Hollywood definition.
    A secret life? No at one level and constantly and continuously on another. Every breath takes us to another world, if we only pay attention.

4. SopranoRocks profile image58
    SopranoRocksposted 6 years ago

I was in a way for years and still no one knows the extent of what I as doing.  Hmm I will think if I want to mention it.  I would never go into detail except maybe with a therapist but yes I think I did lead a double life at one time.

5. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Most everyone leads a double life. There is the true you, then there is the you that others see.

6. tom hellert profile image58
    tom hellertposted 6 years ago

No,
    ive barely lead a "single" life, more or less a double life.
    I had a double cheeseburger,
    Ive hit a double at baseball,
    I've had double mint gum
    Ive been on double dates
    I eaten double vanilla ice cream
    Double down at Black-jack
    Ive gotten double minor penalties playin hockey
    Ate pizza with double cheese
    I like double chocolate cake
    TH

7. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I think we all have our own secrets and aspects about ourselves that one or more groups of people we associate with would be "surprised" to know. I for one have always been different around co-workers or business associates than I am around my closest friends and some family members. I don't think of it as being so much as living a "double life" but rather behaving appropriately under given circumstances.

In other instances one may have a hobby or participate in activites that they just don't dicuss with others (Volunteer work, acting in community theater, playing an instrument in a band, writing...etc) You are always yourself choosing the sides you want others see.

8. alisha4u profile image37
    alisha4uposted 6 years ago

We all have some Secrets that are 'not to be disclosed' to the outer world... There are some that could totally re-structure our lifestyle and people's perception... But, these secrets are Hidden...

Isn's that something you would refer to as Double Life ??

9. donnaisabella profile image82
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

Not really? No, I have never led a secret life that I deliberately wanted to hide from others to misrepresent myself. I am way too transparent for that kind of thing, it would not go beyond an hour. However, there are things I have done in my life that I would not want other people to know about because they were not things that made me proud or better. I guess those parts of our lives are better left alone.

10. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

I'm an extremely private person.  There are a lot of things I share with everyone openly, so there is this illusion that nothing is hidden, but there are a lot of thoughts and lives on the inside that only a handful of people see.

Most of this is because I don't really want to hear the opinions of most people who wouldn't agree with my own life choices.  I chose alternative medicine to treat my cancer, but I never discussed this with my conventional doctors because they would just argue with me.  Their image of the patient in their office, is very different than me as the patient at the Naturopath's office.

When I was first diagnosed, and separated from my husband, I had to lie to my doctors about where I lived, because I was living out of state, and was afraid the insurance wouldn't cover me.

And of course, during the trial for my divorce, I had to shut everything down.  It was important that my ex-husband did not know who my friends were, because he might have used anything he knew about them against me.  I have a handful of friends who own guns - he would have used that against me in court, even though it has nothing to do with me as a mother.

I am very private about relationships too.  Most people don't know that I'm dating someone until it's been about 6 months...   

That said - I do share everything in my life with my partner.

11. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

It all depends on what you mean by a double life.

In the case of cheating on someone - no
    In the case of pretending to be something I am not - no
    In the case of having two different lives - sort of. I lived in the city and I lived a city life but when I went home to the country I led a country life...nothing interesting, immoral or dirty.

So basically - no

12. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

I act differently around co-workers than I do with friends and family. I understand that it is quite normal in many companies to socialize with colleague off the job but I have never done that. Most took me as a boring, no-nonsense type and that was fine with me but definitely only a small facet.

13. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 6 years ago

Yes, one while I'm awake, and one while I'm asleep. The one I live while I'm asleep is the much better one!

14. Peanutritious profile image61
    Peanutritiousposted 6 years ago

In a way. I was battling the demons of addiction whilst having a career in Teaching. I would sometimes wonder what the kids would think if they knew what my life was really like.

15. Phelcky profile image59
    Phelckyposted 6 years ago

Yes when nobody knew about my eating-disorder I definitely felt like I was leading a double life. With all the lying, hiding and so on.

16. Mary Stuart profile image79
    Mary Stuartposted 6 years ago

Sort of. When i was in the process of leaving my abuser I had to be very private and set things in order by day and pretend to be reasonable happy and normal in the evening. That was very stressful.

17. juiwei2000 profile image60
    juiwei2000posted 6 years ago

Of course I got a double life, on daytime, I am a reporter for the daily planet, during night, I am "SUPER MAN!!!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)