Have you kept any keepsakes that remind you of a partner you are no longer with?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gabrielthomas72 profile image62
    gabrielthomas72posted 12 years ago

Have you kept any keepsakes that remind you of a partner you are no longer with?

Is there anything that you have kept from a previously reltionship that reminds you of that person? If you have why have you kept it?

2. Jewelz1313 profile image65
    Jewelz1313posted 12 years ago

No. The last one I burned everything. When I'm done with someone I'm REALLY done with them.

3. Moms-Secret profile image76
    Moms-Secretposted 12 years ago

I am proud to say that I have.  Our pasts help mold our futures.  I believe in this so much that I stopped my husband from throwing out couple pictures of his past.  I only just got rid of them since he is no longer here to share the stories.

One day we will be old and many of us will have lost our memories.  This is great for all the bad, but sad for all the sad and silly stories.  I want to share my 'what was I thinking's' with my daughter and grand children.  I want them to see how attractive grandma was as a girl.  When the ridiculous boy with the 'bad boy' persona shows up, I want to show them mine, tell stories, and show that in the long run that boy was a joke.

I keep pictures, letters, and jewelry.  I put them in a box that I rarely open but when I do, there is always a laugh.  You can go much farther in your future if you respect and embrace your past...

4. gabrielthomas72 profile image62
    gabrielthomas72posted 12 years ago

Cheers @Moms-Secret! Have to admit I have some pix of an ex from really good times and they make me smile if I look at them. We're still in touch and are friends, I agree with your comment on the past building our future selves.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

No, nothing left.  Usually those endings weren't pleasant so keepsakes would have been a bittersweet reminder of some really sad times.

6. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Yes. I have a few things. Pictures from three years ago. A box or necklace from two and a half years ago.

7. freebiescity profile image62
    freebiescityposted 12 years ago

Years ago, I moved to a different continent under the guise of attending college – the truth is I was going through a rebellious stage and wanted to prove to myself that I could survive all on my own in the big bad world. Plus I was running away... read more

8. Hubpage Gal profile image56
    Hubpage Galposted 12 years ago

gabrielthomas72, once you fall in love there is no need for a keepsake.  Falling in love is a life experience that just as any other experience, memories can be saved forever.

9. Mary Stuart profile image70
    Mary Stuartposted 12 years ago

Yes. I still have a book and a favorite polar bear miniature from my great love. I treasure his gifts and the sweet times we had together. I doubt that I will ever toss the the polar bear. it is in my curio next to my Lladro polar bears. He is very small in comparison!

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Sure.  I've kept stuff that reminds me of a time in my life - not particularly the person, but since there was someone else "in the equation", that means that "someone else" is also associated with the thing(s) I kept as part of "the story of my life".  Some stuff I've kept as part of "the story of my life" isn't even about the good times.  The story is the story.  While I most often keep the nice reminders of one time or another, I've at times kept a thing or two from times I'd rather not remember (but that were a big enough thing in my life that having an small item or two from it means not completing "obliterating" the less-than-great times either.

The longer we're with someone, the bigger part of our "story" they've been.  I think of what follows something that has ended as the end of a chapter, or even the end of a particular volume of a series of "books".  We end chapters, or close one volume; and then move on to the next.  I don't think that should mean having to rip out previous chapters or burn volumes we're already read or shared with "readers" (either us of anyone with whom we'd like to share our story). 

The things I've kept are pretty much "just stuff" to me.  They don't mean anything more, other than that they are mine and a part of my own, individual, story; which has all kinds of parts to it and which has made me the person I am to this point.

11. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

Yes, I have a whole box of stuff from a highschool sweetheart. I don't know why I have it, it has a bunch of love letters in it, a teddy bear. I really don't know why I still have it, I guess because it was an important part of my life, it was the first time I THOUGHT I was in love. Looking back on it though I was completely miserable.

12. profile image0
    paralegalproposted 12 years ago

I have. Although we are no longer together, we had many wonderful years together. The fact that our relationship ended has not negated all the wonderful moments we shared. I see nothing wrong with remembering the good times in our lives, even if they were times shared with an ex-lover.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)