jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is gender role equality worth the cost it has on our society or have we gone to

1. gcolefam1 profile image67
    gcolefam1posted 5 years ago

Is gender role equality worth the cost it has on our society or have we gone to far?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

I'm not certain what the costs are you are referring to. However I do know that no one wants to be treated like a second class citizen. Most people are for equal pay for equal work and so forth. The only area where there has been some regrets by women in particular is in regard to courtship, dating, and romantic relationships. Chivalry may not be dead but it's on life support.

There was a time when a man pursued a woman with flowers, cards, poems, and paid her compliments. (Today we are looking for women to meet us half way.) No one wants to be accused of sexual harassment or worse, being a stalker. Chivalry always contained some element of sexism..."women are the weaker sex" sort of thing. A lot of women today would rather a strange man NOT open the door for them because they don't want to feel "obligated" to have to thank him. In fact many women don't! They simply walk through as if the door opened up (automatically). lol! Some women are reluctant to smile or say hello to men for fear the man might see it as a sign they want to be picked up. It's gotten to the point where members of both sexes tend to only be kind to strangers they are attracted to or interested in.
    Everything comes with a price.In the battle between being treated as "equal" vs "special", equal has won out! My guess is women today are more happier with the (options) they have compared to the women of the 1920s, 30s, 40s, and 50s....etc

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

What has it cost society? I'm unclear on what you mean.

4. Peter Leeper profile image82
    Peter Leeperposted 5 years ago

There are only costs if we are not treating genders equally.  There should be no question about equal pay for equal work if all of the important factors like education and experience are taken into the equation.  Of course there could be exceptions to this in professions that require physical strength that only a man could posess.

This being said, there is also nothing wrong with traditional gender roles if that is what the person wants to do with their life.  There is far too much finger pointing in today's politics and social discussions based on faulty concept of what men or women SHOULD be instead of what the COULD be.  Just because my mother was a stay at home mom doesn't mean that all mom's should be as well and visa versa.

working