jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you console a loved one, or friend, who is grieving?

1. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 6 years ago

How do you console a loved one, or friend, who is grieving?

What is your experience with grief  - through death or desertion?  What do you do or say that is helpful?  How do you cope with their grief?

2. editorsupremo profile image65
    editorsupremoposted 6 years ago

Just be there for them.  It maybe through a quiet presence or by being available to listen to how their hurt and pain. It might even be helping out around the house, cooking a dinner, doing some shopping whilst they come to terms with their loss. People grieve in different ways. I remember when my Dad died I just wanted to be alone. Family members accepted that and left me to mourn in the solitdue of my bedroom and at his graveside. Ask your loved one if there is anything you can do for them and depending on their answer you can respond appropriately.

3. Unleashed Freedom profile image61
    Unleashed Freedomposted 6 years ago

just by being around. not by saying too many do's or don'ts. sometimes , people need quietness and space, and hugs. all of which are most helpful and comforting.

4. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

Give her time, lots of healing time, standing nearby and watch the stages of grief take place and wash over your loved one, your dear friend...grieving needs time that can not be hurried....

5. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 6 years ago

Grief is personal and  bizarre.  It's best to let your loved one guide you through their needs, often just listening.
    Making sure they have some nourishment is important,
    Making a phone call just to say hi is nice too, without being morbid.
    Perhaps talking about what needs to be done is important too and offering to help.
    Spend 'empty' time with them, just being there, doing the ordinary life-time sorts of things with them, like making a cup of tea, lighting a fire, feeding the pets, making beds.
    If they have been deserted, it's important to just commiserate by listening to their grief, without denigrating.
    Keep it up regularly so they know they can depend on you for solid and sensible friendship.
    "Sensible" is the operative word in insane making times.

working