jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is your secret to happiness in marriage?

1. Turtlewoman profile image95
    Turtlewomanposted 5 years ago

What is your secret to happiness in marriage?

Do you have any tips on marriage for a newlywed couple?

2. Jaggedfrost profile image79
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

Forgive each other the little things and have a framework in place for that for the future.  Define what the big things are and stick with them.  Choose not to let anything other then the big things effect your willingness to show affection.  Be realistic in your acknowledgement of the person they are and not who you think you can make them out to be.  Count on you failing to change them.  If they improve over time and with love be pleasantly surprised.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Remember to be best friends - that bond is what surpasses everything else and keeps you working as a team.  I am with my best friend and we remind each other of how much we appreciate one another regularly.  Focus on positives - do things that are unexpected to show your partner how much you appreciate his love and support.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Naturally agreeing on the major things in life, having the same marriage/relationship goals, and most importantly agreeing on the strategy to obtain them. Opposites may attract in the short run but it's like that attracts in the long run. Couples who agree with one another tend to get along better. Who knew?! :-)
    Seriously, wanting the same things is very important.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Communication and respect.  If something bothers us we talk about it even if it is difficult.  Respect - I work for someone who says terrible things about her husband and relates things she has said to him that are horrible. 

I would never talk to my husband that way, nor would he talk to me like that.  It is common courtesy if you love someone as much as a husband and wife should love each other, that you treat each other with respect and treat them as if they are precious to you.

It also helps that we share our common faith.

6. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 5 years ago

We communicate openly.  We respect each other.  We support eachother's endeavors.  We have a common goal.  We still surprise each other.  We still try to squeeze in  some romantic moments even if our baby is taking too much of our time.  We have our daily walks as a family - that includes the pet. smile

7. hair bender profile image68
    hair benderposted 5 years ago

Remember to continue courting your mate.  Show appreciation for all their hard work.  Saying "please" and "thank you".  Communication is the number one factor-you have to be able to tell each other anything.  Put the other one first.  Get involved in your church.  Treat them like you want to  be treated. Allow for differences between you and encourage him to have some male bonding time as he allows you to have female bonding time as well.  Honor each other and your families.  Be nice!

working